PDA

View Full Version : Fish selection for my 100 gallon reef

dtum
03/27/2013, 05:01 AM
First, the bad news: all of my fish are now dead, I've lost all of them to the dreaded ich. Here's what happened:

100 gallon reef aquarium, 48 x 24 x 20, upgraded from a nano cube and successfully moved a few small fish and rock over.

Later I had added a yellow tang and he was thriving. 2 months later I've added a powder blue tang and within two weeks he was showing the signs of ich (despite me doing a freshwater dip) and then I watched all of my fish slowly die. I moved whatever had left to a newly bought (and cycled) quarantine tank but it was too late.

Lesson learned: no more fooling around without a quarantine tank. So I got two of those (40 gallon and 17 gallon) that are both cycling right now.

Additional information (equipment, aqua scape, etc) about my 100 gallon reef can be found here (www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/dtum/1). I run the Bubble King 180 skimmer and the total water volume is closer to 130 gallons.

Now the good news:
I am starting fresh, and this time I would like to make it right, take it slow and get everyone through quarantine and healthy.

I am looking for an ultimate viewing experience. I've realized that all the gobies and other small fish that I loved observing in the nano cube were not as appreciated in a larger tank - you simply can't see them from across the room. And I am going for that wow factor.

Help me stock the tank right and chose the fish that'll be compatible.

--------

Here's my current must have list:
* yellow tang - loved that fish and just can't see a tank without one
* copperband - have not kept it before and know that it can be tricky, but am definitely willing to try
* 3 blue-eyed anthias - a small school of fish would be so great
* 2 ocellaris clowns - goes without saying

I would also like to add at least one wrasse (carpenter's wrasse is nice, but I've also been eyeing the melaranus wrasse because of its interest in flat worms)

I'd love to get a second tang, powder blue would be optimal... but if there's another one that is a sure win I'd consider going with it.

Any opinion or suggestions? Thanks!

wHiteRiCedYLaN
03/27/2013, 05:11 AM
Tailspot blenny!! One of my favorite fish! So much personallity, and not a lot of bioload :)
Your still going to want to go up to your tank and look for life, to me thats my favorite part of saltwater, taking a close look at small things that dont appear from a distance. Mass amount of never ending life to enjoy.

fishgate
03/27/2013, 05:36 AM
Think about Tomato Clowns instead. They get pretty large at close to 6".

dtum
03/27/2013, 06:59 AM
Tailspot blenny!! One of my favorite fish! So much personallity, and not a lot of bioload :)
Your still going to want to go up to your tank and look for life, to me thats my favorite part of saltwater, taking a close look at small things that dont appear from a distance. Mass amount of never ending life to enjoy.

Thanks, will research it. I had a bi-color blenny before and he was super duper awesome.

dtum
03/27/2013, 07:00 AM
Think about Tomato Clowns instead. They get pretty large at close to 6".

From what I have heard, these guys get mean and nasty when they grow.

cap032
03/27/2013, 07:31 AM
Some Melanarus can be mean as well. The Powder Blue will eventually need a 6ft tank.

username in use
03/27/2013, 07:44 AM
I would revisit your "must have" list.

That tank is not appropriate for a yellow tang. From juvenile stage on up they should be housed in a larger tank, I wouldn't do less than a 180. Same for the Powder Blue.

Wrasse's can be great and do wonderfully when paired or in harems. Then you can watch all of the interesting interactions that occur between them, especially in the evenings when the courtship begins.

Anthias are good open water swimmers, as are groupings of cardinals.

I wouldn't discount your gobies and such as they can add a nice layer to the aquarium, when you get up close and start to notice all the little guys that you didn't see from across the room when you were looking at the anthias up top and the wrasses darting around the rockwork.

For tangs, look at the Tomini and Kole Tangs. Also there are many Dwarf angels that do well in mixed reef setting and provide a constant open water swimmer.

jaa1456
03/27/2013, 08:16 AM
Skip the powder blue and forget the tomato clown. A yellow will be ok in that tank for awhile as long as you don't buy one that is to large.

dtum
03/28/2013, 08:25 PM
Thank you. I've ended up choosing a yellow tang + kole tang combo. Powder blue will have to wait until I get a much bigger tank.

Now what about wrasses? What would go after those flat worms, looks great and does not wreck havoc in a reef tank?

nikon187
03/28/2013, 10:07 PM
Possibly a six line.I would watch the yellow with a copperband they can and will go after them in a smaller tank. If stuck with 2 tangs i would do 2 of the smaller less aggressive such as the kole and a convict or kole and tomini

dtum
03/29/2013, 10:58 AM
Possibly a six line.I would watch the yellow with a copperband they can and will go after them in a smaller tank. If stuck with 2 tangs i would do 2 of the smaller less aggressive such as the kole and a convict or kole and tomini

Thanks, I've kept a six line before and that dude harassed the heck out of my yellow watchmen. Although he was in a 28 gallon. Otherwise it is such a beautiful fish with great personality.

aandfsoccr04
03/29/2013, 11:14 AM
sixlines and tomato clowns are mean as hell. I'd steer clear of those. Look at some of the smaller designer clowns like smowflake, piccaso, wyoming whites, platinums, etc.