PDA

View Full Version : QT and initial stocking questions

dirkomatic
03/27/2013, 06:49 AM
This is probably not the best way to do it, but my LFS is REALLY expensive and their tanks look really bad (lots of undesirable algae, unhealthy looking fish, etc.), so I've decided to purchase my fish online. I have two 10 gallons I can set up as QT tanks. Is it a really bad idea to quarrantine multiple fish in the same tank? I'm thinking I can do 3 in one tank and 3 in the other on my initial stocking.

Thanks!

cap032
03/27/2013, 07:23 AM
Imo, 3 is too many for a 10g.

dirkomatic
03/27/2013, 07:43 AM
After thinking about it, I will also have a Hefty container I can use which is about 8 gallons (I think,) but the only extra power filter I have is huge... If I get 3 damsels, is it ok to put 2 in one and one in another while in quarantine?

Deinonych
03/27/2013, 07:46 AM
Imo, 3 is too many for a 10g.

+1

I am currently doing 3 small fish (two Ocellaris clowns and a McCosker's wrasse) in a 20g. Don't think I would do any more than that as water chemistry starts getting unmanageable. For a 10g, 1 or 2 small fish is probably the max you can do comfortably.

rogermccray
03/27/2013, 08:11 AM
Take it slow, it's better to only add one or at most two fish into your DT at the same time.

There are many really good online dealers so you are safe ordering online, Live Aquaria and Saltwaterfish are two of my favorite.

Also make sure you really want damsels before you order them, they are mean little buggers and will try to kill other fish. I am guessing that if you put three in a 10 or 20 gallon not all of them will survive.

thegrun
03/27/2013, 08:34 AM
The draw back to using a Hefty container is the lack of visability. You really need to observe fish in QT closely and the top down view in a Hefty just isn't good enough IMHO. Perhaps pick up a cheap used 20 gallon tank.

dirkomatic
03/27/2013, 08:57 AM
The draw back to using a Hefty container is the lack of visability. You really need to observe fish in QT closely and the top down view in a Hefty just isn't good enough IMHO. Perhaps pick up a cheap used 20 gallon tank.

Yeah, I've been looking and no one has a used 20 gallon locally and they seem to want WAY too much ($50!) for even 10 gallon tanks. I guess I'll swing by and get a new 20 gallon...

tphill
03/27/2013, 09:40 AM
I currently have 2 Firefish in a 10 gallon QT.
I also have 2 damsels (blue yellow-tail & lemon) in a 10 gallon and they have been in there about 5 months now. Just no other place to put them.

rogermccray
03/27/2013, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I've been looking and no one has a used 20 gallon locally and they seem to want WAY too much ($50!) for even 10 gallon tanks. I guess I'll swing by and get a new 20 gallon...

If you can wait petco has $1 a gallon sales pretty often. so you can get a new one for $20

wooden_reefer
03/27/2013, 11:31 AM
This is probably not the best way to do it, but my LFS is REALLY expensive and their tanks look really bad (lots of undesirable algae, unhealthy looking fish, etc.), so I've decided to purchase my fish online. I have two 10 gallons I can set up as QT tanks. Is it a really bad idea to quarrantine multiple fish in the same tank? I'm thinking I can do 3 in one tank and 3 in the other on my initial stocking.

Thanks!

If your only LFS is really bad, you may have to go online. What is really bad? A LFS can have passable quality livestock even if some fish are sick, even if he has limited skills. When the dilution effect of the ocean is gone, there are many pathogens lurking around. This is a fact of this hobby. The question is sick in what way? Some ich does no harm as you have to treat to eradicate anyway The big question is whether he has GOOD source of supplier with livestock that were collected well, held well, and shipped well. and whether he is as least compotent in critcal areas. Some LFS are truely bad, but do not allow just light ich infestation to pass wide judgement. A fish that feeds very eagerly but with light ich infestation is a good choice.

I routinely QT all the fish that I can find at once for the stocking design of a setup. Newbies should not do so because he lacks skills in disease control of fish.

The question of the QT size is basically behaviorial consideration.

The question of water chemical quality during QT, ammonia and nitrite, is mostly that of robust cycling of enough medium before you buy any fish. A well cycled medium, enough of it, will handle ALL realistic bioload all at once. Even a newbie can make sure that this is true.

dirkomatic
03/27/2013, 12:21 PM
I routinely QT all the fish that I can find at once for the stocking design of a setup. Newbies should not do so because he lacks skills in disease control of fish.

So, are you saying that I shouldn't QT my fish when I get them because I'm new to the hobby?

wooden_reefer
03/27/2013, 12:40 PM
So, are you saying that I shouldn't QT my fish when I get them because I'm new to the hobby?

Yes, because you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

Generally, the greatest risk in QTing all fish at once is NOT ich, but bacterial infection.

One fact is that UV can vastly reduce incidents and severity (and spread) of bacterial infection.

The other fact is the even with proper use of UV very experienced aquarists face the risk of a bacterial infection that does not respond to the antibiotic on hand.

Ich is a sure cure but bacterial infection is not.

There are also many less commonly devastating diseases.

A QT and DT is a closed system and many diseases can develop if there is no active treatment against them.

I know this and choose to put all or most of my eggs in one basket and care for the basket very well. The biggest advantages of Qting most or all fish is much reduced incompatibility issue.

If you QT one fish at a time, it may take as much as half a year to stock a tank. You have to make sure that bacteria dying due to lack of ammonia and nitrite in DT is not an issue.

If you stock all at once you can time the completion of cycle in DT with completion of QT and so will not have to worry about insufficient nitrification in DT after QT.

If you QT and stock one at a time you have to make sure you provide enough excess bacteria in DT so that there will be no ammonia or nitrite in DT long after the initial cycle. This can be done by maintaining active nitrification in a separate container.

IF you already have 8 unit of bioload in DT, adding the ninth won't cause much problem. If you have only two unit of bioload in DT for months and you then add just one additional unit, there will be "new tank syndrome" if you do nothing to prevent it. The benefit of the initial cycle in DT will have expired after many months.

dirkomatic
03/27/2013, 05:52 PM
Ok, so I've decided to cut back a bit on the initial order. I got a pretty good deal from petsolutions.com... I haven't seen many reviews of their livestock, but I've ordered lights from them and their customer service was good.

I'm getting three yellowtail damsels and a bicolor blenny. I am going to try to QT in the two 10 gallons. I will be diligent on the water chemistry in them... Hopefully, it will all go well.