PDA

View Full Version : little killers watch out!!!

ffsteve
03/27/2013, 08:01 AM
I bought a maxima clam from Pacific East Aquaculture during the ct ffm. checked it out very well brought it home qt it and put it in my main tank.
well it died a week later. some one on here told me to look for parymid snails on it. well i didn't find anything on it, in it, or around it. now the only thing i have put in my main tank in the past 3 months was that clam and my hands and i know i didn't have any on me!!. Well i have lost 6 turbo snails in the past week. thought not much about it. well this morning surprize surprize, i see them on one of my snails.

so what eats them, how do you get rid of them, and how long do the live with out anything to eat?

Sugar Magnolia
03/27/2013, 08:06 AM
You sure it's pyramids? Take a picture and post it up here.

It could also be a polyclad flatworm in the tank. They eat clams and snails. Check the tank during the night as they are nocturnal.

It'll looks like this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/garagebrian/Hitchhikers/flatworm.jpg

NewbyReefer
03/27/2013, 08:08 AM
melanurus wrasse

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/joshwhit3385/IMG_2170_zps94daf954.jpg

sanababit
03/27/2013, 09:38 AM
Yes take a picture, and
+2 on the polyclad flatworm, they killed my two clams and some snails

Sana

ffsteve
03/27/2013, 01:31 PM
i checked them out they are deffinetly pyrimid snails

ffsteve
03/27/2013, 01:44 PM
what type of wrasse should i get??
i have:
tangs, bicolor angel, clowns, rather fat watchman goby, softies,lps, and sps's

Sugar Magnolia
03/27/2013, 01:45 PM
Yep, what a bummer. As mentioned the melanurus may take care of them, but it's not a definite on that. Manual removal will be your best bet.

Allmost
03/27/2013, 01:48 PM
You sure it's pyramids? Take a picture and post it up here.

It could also be a polyclad flatworm in the tank. They eat clams and snails. Check the tank during the night as they are nocturnal.

It'll looks like this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/garagebrian/Hitchhikers/flatworm.jpg

I have something like this in my tank, but the outter shell is hard, and it kinda sitcks to glass !

are these flatworms soft ?

trying to figure out if I have the same thing in my tank;

ACBlinky
03/27/2013, 02:30 PM
I have something like this in my tank, but the outter shell is hard, and it kinda sitcks to glass !

are these flatworms soft ?

trying to figure out if I have the same thing in my tank;
That sounds like a stomatella snail - utterly harmless. Flatworms don't have any kind of shell, stomatellas have a shell that looks a bit like a fingernail, and a longish tail that extends out behind them. They eat film algae, and multiply. I have loads, all different colours and patterns, that came in as hitchhikers and bred.

Allmost
03/27/2013, 02:32 PM
That sounds like a stomatella snail - utterly harmless. Flatworms don't have any kind of shell, stomatellas have a shell that looks a bit like a fingernail, and a longish tail that extends out behind them. They eat film algae, and multiply. I have loads, all different colours and patterns, that came in as hitchhikers and bred.

cool thanks :) I never thought its doing harm so left it, but when I saw the pic of the flatworm I got kinda worried :)

thanks again for the clarification.

seapug
03/27/2013, 03:02 PM
I had a serious problem with Pyram snails in my tank. I put leopard wrasse in the tank and every single one of them was gone in a week. Haven't seen a single one since.

cap032
03/27/2013, 07:47 PM
Upon occasion, you may see the stomatella blow what "looks like a puff of smoke". Dont freak out if you do. I assume its releasing sperm. Looks pretty cool when they do it.

Anemone
03/27/2013, 08:46 PM
Hmmm, a clam and 6 turbos? Pyramidal snails really don't kill things that fast. I'd be looking for another culprit - like maybe a Eunicid or Oenone Worm or the polyclad flatworm mentioned above.

Kevin