PDA

View Full Version : why is my water level in my DT not raising?

capspath83
03/27/2013, 08:11 AM
Hey all,

So I have been racking my brain to try and figure out why my water level is not raising at all in my DT. It only gets as high as when the openings first start on the overflow. the pump I am using is an Eheim Compact 5000+ which is capable of 600 to 1321gph (more than enough flow). It has a regulator on the side of the pump so I can raise or lower the flow to my liking. I have turned it as high as it could go to the point where sand was blowing all over my tank and exposing the bare bottom and still cannot get the water to raise. There is about 1.5" to 2" of water missing in the display.

Can someone please help me figure this out??

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/capspath83/Fish%2BTank%2BSetup/80599471-FD38-4D99-B020-4812FA4D6BD5-2545-000001D2041B3688_zps56c9538b.jpg

worm5406
03/27/2013, 08:13 AM
Raise the drain in the overflow by 1/2 inch and see what it does.

Raising the GPH shows that the drains can handle the flow, which is a good thing.

keithhays
That just means that your overflow has a higher capacity to flow water than your pump.

username in use
It will only go as high as the overflow is. If it raises higher than that you are exceeding the rate at which the drains can drain the water, and in that case you are going to overflow the tank. The only way to raise the water level is to raise the level of the overflow.

Is this an overflow that you put in yourself?

Palting
03/27/2013, 08:18 AM
What kind of overflow do you have? Can you raise the overflow? Thats what you need to do to raise the water level.

fishgate
03/27/2013, 08:33 AM
+1 - this is how it is supposed to work!

PAnanoguy
03/27/2013, 09:17 AM
Im guessing this is a hang on back overflow. so yes you need to raise the overflow.

sanababit
03/27/2013, 09:22 AM
Put a ball valve on the pipe/hose going down to the sump and close it a little and see the water rise in your tank display, warning close it till you get the desired water hight inside your display or just raise the overflow like everyone says, jejej

Sana

username in use
03/27/2013, 09:23 AM
Put a ball valve on the pipe/hose going down to the sump and close it a little and see the water rise in your tank display, warning close it till you get the desired water hight inside your display or just raise the overflow like everyone says, jejej

Sana

Do not put a valve on the drain line. That is asking for a flooded room.

sanababit
03/27/2013, 10:54 AM
Do not put a valve on the drain line. That is asking for a flooded room.

Why is that?, because it might get clogged? That is why you have strainers on your overflows, i have valves on both overflows going 6 years now with no problems

Sana

username in use
03/27/2013, 10:57 AM
Why is that?, because it might get clogged? That is why you have strainers on your overflows, i have valves on both overflows going 6 years now with no problems

Sana

Your trying to balance a siphon without an emergency backup. There is nothing to stop your system from falling out of sinc tomorrow and overflowing.

capspath83
03/27/2013, 11:10 AM
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/capspath83/Fish%20Tank%20Setup/80599471-FD38-4D99-B020-4812FA4D6BD5-2545-000001D2041B3688_zps56c9538b.jpg

The overflow is not a HOB. It is a factory built Overflow from Deep Blue. I have also emailed them with questions on why this is happening. The pump that I have is definitely overkill for the tank already. The only thing I can do to the overflow is raise and lower a gate in the front of the overflow. I have tried it both ways and there is no difference. The sides and 2 teeth in the front stay open with all other teeth closed when the gate is up. I also raided the pump to 1321gph and had a major sandstorrm in the tank to see if that would raise it. Its incredible if I need a bigger pump to raise the water level. the fish would be pinned to the glass!!

username in use
03/27/2013, 11:15 AM
Oh, this is a rimless tank. That's where the water is supposed to be. If there were trim on the tank you wouldn't see the water line.

Its working properly.

capspath83
03/27/2013, 11:20 AM
Really?

I think even with the trim you would be able to see the waterline. The legs of the light are about the same length as the trim would be and you would have about another inch or so of empty space. The return back into my tank should be covered with a little more water, i believe. I have to bend it all the way down just to get it mostly covered with water as you can see in the pic.

username in use
03/27/2013, 11:22 AM
I honestly don't see a problem with it. It raises to the level of the teeth on the overflow. You don't want it too close to the edge, water will be constantly splashing out and down the sides.

What size tank is it? I know on my brothers standard 65g the trim is like 2" tall.

cap032
03/27/2013, 11:31 AM
If your overflow has teeth in the bottom as well (cant tell from the pic) its also pulling water from the bottom of the tank, which is good but, would make it difficult to raise the water in the tank anymore.

capspath83
03/27/2013, 11:34 AM
Thats true.. I dont mind about an inch gap or so but its just strange since the gate is up on the overflow and the level stays the same as when the gate is down. thats the part that confuses me. Any my return in the tank is ok like that with a metal halide over it? its very hot to the touch. here is a pic that i found of a 90gallon rimless which has about a gap so I see what you are saying with having the space, but mine I feel is too much empty space.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/capspath83/rimlesstank_zps465a2ce9.jpg

username in use
03/27/2013, 11:39 AM
When you raise the gate, does it cover the hole for the return on the left on that overflow?

And that tank you referenced looks like it has a glass holes overflow, not a factory unit. Which means the person installed it to have the water level higher.

capspath83
03/27/2013, 11:40 AM
If your overflow has teeth in the bottom as well (cant tell from the pic) its also pulling water from the bottom of the tank, which is good but, would make it difficult to raise the water in the tank anymore.

Hi Cap032, There are no bottom teeth to this overflow. Only at that tiop. I dunno, maybe it is running correctly, i just thought Id be able to raise or lower the level with the gate on the inside of the Overflow. It looks like I could add another 5 gallons into the tank ans still have leftover room.

capspath83
03/27/2013, 11:42 AM
When you raise the gate, does it cover the hole for the return on the left on that overflow?

And that tank you referenced looks like it has a glass holes overflow, not a factory unit. Which means the person installed it to have the water level higher.

True. I saw that after I posted it. When I raise the gate it doen't cover the hole for the return on the left because the water doesn't even get that high to begin with.

username in use
03/27/2013, 11:48 AM
The only other thing I can think if is to cover the bottom half of the teeth somehow so that water level raises up.

capspath83
03/27/2013, 11:50 AM
That is a good idea, do you know what I could use for that. Somthing that will be reef safe, and wont fall off to clog anything over time?

username in use
03/27/2013, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure. I would try is with something simple first like just a layer of electrical tape. Lower the water, dry the plastic and put some tape on it to try it out, then see if you want to take the time to work on something more permanent like a piece of black acrylic.

capspath83
03/27/2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks Joshua,

I apprecaite all your help!

First I will see what Deep Blue comes back to me with, but I will definitely look inot the suggestions that you provided me. Sorry for all the back and forth. I am new to rimless tanks and Sumps. My last tank was a 72gallon bow reef tank with everthing hanging on back. so this is all new to me.

username in use
03/27/2013, 12:08 PM
No worries, we all get new stuff and this is the place to figure it out. ;)

sirreal63
03/27/2013, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't worry with the water at that level, but the pic looks like the tank is unlevel, the water on the left side looks higher than the right side.

Palting
03/27/2013, 01:53 PM
The only other thing I can think if is to cover the bottom half of the teeth somehow so that water level raises up.

That is a good idea, do you know what I could use for that. Somthing that will be reef safe, and wont fall off to clog anything over time?

I'm not sure. I would try is with something simple first like just a layer of electrical tape. Lower the water, dry the plastic and put some tape on it to try it out, then see if you want to take the time to work on something more permanent like a piece of black acrylic.

Don't use electrical tape. Go to a hardware store that carries acrylic sheets for sale. Get one that is at least as wide across as your overflow and maybe 4"-6". It seems you overflow is curved, so get the thinner grade acrylic sheet so you can bed it along the curve. Or even a thinner but semi-rigid plastic sheet. Cut it to size, then silicone it in front of the teeth at the height you want for your water level. Make sure it is level left to right. The good thing about silicone is it will not "bond" to plastic nor acrylic, but it will hold and seal it in place, while the water pressure in front will keep it pushed against the overflow. That way you can easily remove it with a little bit of force should you want to without breaking anything.

I did that with one of my plug&play smaller tanks, and I just happened to have acrylic sheets. Come to think of it, you can probably use any piece of flexible plastic, and silicone that over the lower half of the teeth.

keithhays
03/28/2013, 06:19 AM
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/capspath83/Fish%20Tank%20Setup/80599471-FD38-4D99-B020-4812FA4D6BD5-2545-000001D2041B3688_zps56c9538b.jpg

The overflow is not a HOB. It is a factory built Overflow from Deep Blue. I have also emailed them with questions on why this is happening. The pump that I have is definitely overkill for the tank already. The only thing I can do to the overflow is raise and lower a gate in the front of the overflow. I have tried it both ways and there is no difference. The sides and 2 teeth in the front stay open with all other teeth closed when the gate is up. I also raided the pump to 1321gph and had a major sandstorrm in the tank to see if that would raise it. Its incredible if I need a bigger pump to raise the water level. the fish would be pinned to the glass!!

It doesn't make sense that raising and lowering the gate on the overflow would not adjust the level of water in the tank. I haven't seen this particular gate, but maybe it isn't installed correctly. The water in the tank should be exactly at the top of that gate no matter where you place it.

username in use
03/28/2013, 06:25 AM
Don't use electrical tape.

My suggestion was to only use it to determine where they wanted the water level, then get a piece of acrylic and make a more permanent install.

worm5406
03/28/2013, 07:42 AM
It doesn't make sense that raising and lowering the gate on the overflow would not adjust the level of water in the tank. I haven't seen this particular gate, but maybe it isn't installed correctly. The water in the tank should be exactly at the top of that gate no matter where you place it.

Well it is to the top of it, and falling over the edge when it gets there.

You would have to block it off, INCLUDING, the discharge cutouts on the L and R side.