PDA

View Full Version : refugium??

cvsailer
03/27/2013, 09:29 AM
I have a naive question. What is a refugium and what is it used for? Thanks!

whiteshark
03/27/2013, 09:36 AM
It is essentially an area to grow macro algea. The algea pulls nutrients out of the water as it grows so it helps keep your water quality in line. It allows you to grow the algea outside of the DT as most do not want it in the DT. It also provides safe haven for beneficial food organisms like amphipods to live and breed. It can be part of your sump or a dedicated tank or container that feeds from and back to your sump or DT.

cvsailer
03/27/2013, 09:47 AM
Thank you Whiteshark, very helpful. How do you distinguish the benefits of a protein skimmer vs. a UV sterilizer vs. a refugium?

whiteshark
03/27/2013, 10:13 AM
A UV sterilizer essentially kills any living thing that flows through it. It has some benefits but its not something I run or even own. I don't think its something you need and in fact may possibly be detrimental.

A skimmer is a must IMO. It removes organics from the water column via foam fractionation and the result is much better water quality. It is quite effective. It will not remove nitrates but it will remove the things that will become nitrates if they remain in the tank.

A refugium exports nutrients via the removal of part of the macro algea that grows in it. The algea uses nitrate and phosphate from the water to grow so it also help export nutrients. However its effectiveness at nutrient removal can be argued. It is not an skimmer replacement at all. It would be in addition to a skimmer. It is beneficial to have though if for nothing other than a safe haven for pods.

foundnemo11
03/27/2013, 10:16 AM
if you start a tank do yourself a favor and have one. I started without and since i have converted I am 100% happier with my setup.

MiracleFish
03/27/2013, 11:45 AM
If youre trying to decide between purchasing any of these products or which are crucial to hook up to your aquarium, I agree with Whiteshark on needing a skimmer for the exact reason that he explained. As for a fuge, I feel as though that's a definite necessity also. No filters are hooked up to my nano reef, just a small HOB fuge and a Hydor nano skimmer.

cvsailer
03/27/2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have a Eshopps 150 sump in the tank stand of my 92 gallon corner tank. I assume I need a separate tank for the refugium (not sure where it will fit)? Does the value of the refugium change if the tank is a FOWLR (like mine) vs. a reef tank?