PDA

View Full Version : need advice on moving large partially filled tank

highergroove
03/27/2013, 10:41 AM
I am doing some remodeling and need to move my 300 gallon glass tank out of a room (which is being torn down) and into another temporarily, then move it back. I have a 6" sand bed that has been established for the last 12 years and want to disturb it as little as possible (it has southdown which I hear is no longer available). I plan to drain it down to the level of the sand and then move it and put everything back in for a couple months and then do the same to move it back.

Any great ideas on the best method. I am afraid to carry it because - it will be ridiculously heavy! I had an idea to build a cart out of metal or wood (advice on which?) with some heavy duty castors and then roll it into the next room (which will have a ramp since there is about a 4" difference) and then maybe leave it on the cart, maybe build another temp stand.

Any thoughts on this or something better??

coralsnaked
03/27/2013, 11:34 AM
Moving a glass tank w/ a heavy sand bed in it whether it is loading it on a movable or any movement can and most probably put way too much pressure on the seals causing leakage or even too much pressure on the glass causing breakage.

Sometimes you just can't take a shortcut w/ a tank. IMO either figure out a way to remodle around the tank, or brak it completely down for the move. And there is no gaurantee on moving a 7 year old empty tank either. Stuff happens!

Drain the tank down and remove the sand. Then rinse the sand well, dry it out and reseed the tank w/ 1 cup of saved sand you hold in some of your saltwater. And let it rebuild in it's own time.

Besides when you remove the rock and you see the ugly stuff remaining in the water, you will not want to put that in your new setup tank. It will cause many problems. A 12 year olod sandbed is a bobby trap anyways, probably nearing OTS. This is a good time to clean house.

GroktheCube
03/27/2013, 12:52 PM
It's be very hesitant to move the tank with that much sand in there. Honestly, unless you keep the sand underwater and oxygenated, everything will die anyway.

I think coralsnaked's suggestion is best. You could even put a fair amount of sand into a rubbermaid, and run it in there with some bubblers.

Moving a big tank with big weight in it is a recipe for disaster, either now or in the future.

billdogg
03/27/2013, 01:09 PM
I would tend to agree with the above. You can certainly reuse the sand - use some of the water you will be removing to rinse the sand as well as you can, then keep it in 5g buckets while you move the tank. The tank itself can be moved pretty easily by using 3" or 4" pvc pipes as rollers underneath as you move it to it's temporary home.

I will be doing the same with my 60g tank this weekend (new carpet Monday!) and although it has just a couple inches of sand, it has been in the tank since 1992. I intend to first remove all the corals and inverts I possibly can. I will then siphon out the sand into buckets and clean it as well as possible there. Sure, some of the larger infauna will be lost, but overall I think the effectiveness of the sandbed itself will suffer only in the short term.

Of course my actual plan then it to convince my wife that a tank that has been running since 1992 probably should not be expected to last much longer, so NOW is the time to upgrade to that 120.............Think she'll buy it?????

Lionfish666
03/27/2013, 03:34 PM
Ah feel for you moving tanks is a nightmare, least it isn't far though.
Putting it out there that you might want to just get a new tank?
By the age of the sandbed guessing the tank is way old, and it will make the move easier.

highergroove
03/27/2013, 06:24 PM
I can certainly empty the tank, but can I really rinse away enough of the detritus from small sized sand particles (Southdown powder sand) and mix it all up and put it back ion the tank? I am assuming that there will be sulfur pockets, etc.

I can definitely get more sand and do a new sand bed, but I don't want to do it now because I need to move it again in a couple months. Or maybe I can get away without a sand bed at all for a few months (doubtful - I have no filter and skimmerless)

As far as getting a new tank - they are over $2000 now and I can't afford it. I may have to if it breaks but really crossing my fingers...In that case, my plan is to move it into a 300 gallon stock tank with a pond liner so I guess I can keep it going until the final move...anyone see an issue with that?

Does anyone think my idea of building a cart and sliding it over onto the cart will work?It will move all of 2.5 feet with sand and then I could roll the cart out.

Fishamatank
03/27/2013, 08:41 PM
I would buy some 1" od (or less) grey plastic electrical conduit and cut them to fit under the tank and roll it on them. Have a bunch of extras and move them to the front as needed.
Never moved a 300 like this, but have moved 120 and 175 tanks this way.

highergroove
03/27/2013, 08:48 PM
Fishamatank - you are talking just the glass tank, not the whole stand, right? I am thinking that it might be easier sliding on its own than lifting an inch at an angle...maybe not, thoughts?

Wizzard~Of~Ozz
03/27/2013, 09:14 PM
Any suggestion would depend heavily on the type of stand as would what is on the floor.

You can transport a house intact if you plan correctly ( and lift very evenly ). My first thought on this would be to build a "stand within a stand", make the front and back stick out about 6" and keep the bottom of the stand off the ground so you can get a couple of jacks to lift it. From there it could be lowered onto a cart of adequate size ( or 1" steel pipes as mentioned by Fishamatank. ) This can also be used when putting it back to adjust for level if required.

I would not attempt to take the tank off the stand, that will most certainly result in problems. The stand is designed to carry the load, you just need to get under the stand with a mobile floor. Tipping the stand at an angle even an inch on the length will adjust all the load points on the stand and could cause it to buckle. Most are designed for vertical strength, not lateral. That 4" slope is concerning, I don't envy this at all. Wear diapers.

echoreef
03/28/2013, 12:09 AM
I moved my tank from one room to another without much effort. Granted it's only 120g. Go to home depot and get the sliding discs used on furniture. They can hold up to 3000 lbs. Empty most of the water out into holding containers. Have a couple of friends come over to help lift the stand one corner at a time and slide the discs underneath. One in each corner. Then you can easily slide into another room with not much effort. I actually left the discs under the stand and filled the water back up in case I need to move the tank again in the future. All of this was done in about 30 minutes without taking any fish or coral out.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100391627?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100391627&R=100391627#.UVPfhr9PpFI

biggles
03/28/2013, 12:24 AM
I would empty the tank, move it and then run it bare bottom with just your rock, corals and fish while you remodel. Purchase a half decent skimmer such as a reef octopus and use that with reduced feeding. Wash your sand and when it's time to move it back, sell the skimmer if you don't wish to continue using it. Hope things go well for you which ever way you go. :)

highergroove
04/01/2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I am now toying with leaving it and building around :) so many options - just need to go with what is most comfortable.

HeadleesSon
04/01/2013, 07:50 PM
I think you can reuse the sand if you take everything out before disturbing it. Then before removing the sand stir it to the bottom and all over. Then run a bunch of powerheads. The toxic gas will disapate and get removed when you dump the water. I would then fill the tank part way again with fresh salt water and repeat one more time.

Then if you fill the tank with it after the move, start with 50 gallons only, then wait a little and see how your nitrates test plus see if it smells ok. maybe fill it with another 50 gal salt water and drain. This should allow you to keep the bulk of benifical stuff.

However, I dread the idea of you trying to move it with that much sand and water. I would be holding my breath every second.

I think using a single 5 gallon bucket of the old sand with all new sand is going to work best.