PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Storage in a Garage

metalmike415
03/27/2013, 11:37 AM
Hey folks! I am researching and planning for a 65 gallon Reef tank and have a question about storing RO/DI and salt water prepped for water changes and can not find an answer. My question is this,does the air temp in a garage that is not climate controlled effect the water being stored? Also could wrapping the containers in insulation help cut down it's effects of the water?

I don't have much room in my house at this time to store the water and my garage is my best bet for what I want to have on hand volume wise. BTW I will be using 32 gallon gray brute cans.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions :cool:

downbeach
03/27/2013, 11:52 AM
I keep mine in the garage for years. I just turn the heater on the day before I use it, this time of year, during summer months, I use it as is.

sammy77
03/27/2013, 12:01 PM
As long as it doesn't freeze in there, you'll be ok. If it gets below freezing by you, I would put some type of heater in the container attached to a pvc pipe maybe, just let it run and circulate with a pump in the mix container.

metalmike415
03/27/2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies folks.

Laddy
03/27/2013, 02:57 PM
I store both salt mix, and RODI water in brute containers in the garage.....before I use any, I drop a small powerhead in for an hour to oxygenate the water, but that's about it.

good luck.

Sethjamto
03/27/2013, 04:12 PM
I do the same and have no issues, although I'm not concerned with cold as it rarely hits 30 here in the winter. I do, though, get my garage up over 100 every day in the summer. I just don't let the water sit for an extremely long time. I use about a gallon a day in evap, so I only let the RODI fill the can for about a weeks worth of water at a time so it doesn't sit in the heat for extended periods.

Tlecluyse
03/27/2013, 04:33 PM
I store both salt mix, and RODI water in brute containers in the garage.....before I use any, I drop a small powerhead in for an hour to oxygenate the water, but that's about it.

good luck.

^^^^^^^^

this plus add a heater the day before the cold water is actually better than super warm water as far as storage is concerned

metalmike415
03/27/2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the input folks!!

metalmike415
03/27/2013, 10:13 PM
Sethjamto How do you like the Reef Octopus NWB110?