PDA

View Full Version : Substrate mix?

T0mm0
03/27/2013, 11:50 AM
Hi there,

Is there any benefit to having two different types of sand substrate, meaning to have a base layer of finer substrate and then to top it with a slightly bigger rubble?

Thanks!

uny2bld
03/27/2013, 03:32 PM
Hi there,

Is there any benefit to having two different types of sand substrate, meaning to have a base layer of finer substrate and then to top it with a slightly bigger rubble?

Thanks!

I would aviod larger rubble at all costs imo

daido
03/27/2013, 03:38 PM
There is a huge advantage in doing this mix. The top layer is an aerobic area that will create nitrte. The finer sand will create an anaerobic area which will consume the nitrates. It will be effective even in a shallow sand bed:-)

uny2bld
03/27/2013, 03:48 PM
There is a huge advantage in doing this mix. The top layer is an aerobic area that will create nitrte. The finer sand will create an anaerobic area which will consume the nitrates. It will be effective even in a shallow sand bed:-)

I tried this with the tanks I used to take care of in college (3 years of) and it never worked. Is there a secret other than just placing the sand & crushed coral in this manner?

daido
03/27/2013, 03:51 PM
I tried this with the tanks I used to take care of in college (3 years of) and it never worked. Is there a secret other than just placing the sand & crushed coral in this manner?

Well,the bottom sand has to be super fine..like beach sand..the upper layer should be sugar sand.

living_waters
01/26/2014, 11:15 PM
I don't want to make another thread seeing my question is similar can I mix white aragonite sand with black live rubble from carribsea any disadvantages I want a jawfish and idk if it can live in just the plain live black rubble?