PDA

View Full Version : How to QT a filefish

Joel_155
03/27/2013, 02:00 PM
So the title pretty much says it all. I have aiptaisia in my tank and I want to buy a Filefish to take care of it. Per my LFS they only eat aiptasia and so no QT...just put in the main tank. Thoughts on this? I've already lost fish to ich and im not interested in going through that again.

wonderz
03/27/2013, 05:42 PM
maybe move a piece of rock that has aiptasia in it to the QT? Though i don't think they only eat aiptasia.

Lawman5014
03/27/2013, 07:09 PM
I have a matted filefish and have had him for a good 6 months. I had a pretty bad aptasia outbreak and within 2 weeks of me getting him my aptasia was 100% gone and I haven't seen any aptasia at all since. However, he will eat other stuff besides aptasia. I had some random coral polyps that were already growing on my live rock when I bought it. He ate those polyps and has kept their tendrils cut to the bone ever since. I haven't bought any corals yet (I plan to soon) but I know I need to find him a new home before I do or risk him eating my corals. He also happily eats my brine shrimp and freeze dried "marine blend" food I use in the tank as well as algae discs.

syrinx
03/27/2013, 08:43 PM
Def QT all filefish. They are prone to carry ich. You will not even see it sometimes due to their camo abilities. They will eat a wide variety of frozen and prepared foods.