PDA

View Full Version : POLL: do you name your fish?

squishifishi
03/27/2013, 05:13 PM
on the freshwater side, EVERYBODY names their fish. but it seems like over here...not so much. I of course do, for fun, but do you?
let's hear about it!

aandfsoccr04
03/27/2013, 05:14 PM
you forgot to add the poll...
:facepalm:

bighead
03/27/2013, 05:16 PM
my Grandaughter named all of mine of course Nemo and the Emrald crabs name is Popy Steve (thats my father ) almost all have names

EllieSuz
03/27/2013, 05:25 PM
Yeah, we name them all, but my favorite name (and fish) is Munch the Mandarin. My husband named the Tang "Muss". Think about it. We have two different kinds of goby we call Moby and Toby. The Flame Angel is Bette David (it's the eyes).

Misled
03/27/2013, 05:33 PM
Not the fish, but my cucumber is called Booger.

callibaetis
03/27/2013, 05:39 PM
My 4 yr old daughter gets to name them all. Makes her feel involved in the whole process. Mind you mom and dad can veto it if it's not a good name.

biecacka
03/27/2013, 05:40 PM
My daughter names them
Corey

squishifishi
03/27/2013, 05:42 PM
lol, Jesse:)
ellie... Muss tang! haha I get it!!!
you probably wanna hear my names:
margarita snail: Marge
Emerald crab: Bitsy( i plan to get another and name her Itsy)
Nassarius: Yopyop(after star wars eopies)
hermit crab: Miko
brittle star: Koru
hmm...I don't actually have any *fish*:rolleyes:

squishifishi
03/27/2013, 05:43 PM
poll working for the rest of you?

buildinboats
03/27/2013, 05:50 PM
When Poindexter, my hand fed porcupine puffer died I felt so badly that I vowed to never name a fish again. Makes when they die not so dramatic.

djp2313
03/27/2013, 05:53 PM
We name all of the fish, my wife just likes naming.

phantomg23
03/27/2013, 06:39 PM
im trying to decide on a name for my copper band.

i was thinking either lincoln or honest abe. if you get the pun lol, but yea any suggestions?

reefer91
03/27/2013, 06:46 PM
I *never* name fish. It drives my SO nuts. So she names them herself haha.

Kharn
03/27/2013, 06:56 PM
As soon as you name something it becomes somewhat more attached emotionally, having said this all my 'creatures' have names as I enjoy the emotion :D...

I keep stomatopods (mantis shrimp) specifically and each of the names of the creatures is a 'symbol' about them in general here are a few examples...

Megatron (G.chiragra): Taken from Transformers, leader of the decepticons...Reasons for this were simple, weight for weight the G.chiragra is the most powerful smasher known and has a very aggressive temperament, it also sports the greys & pinks/purples of Megatron in the cartoon.

Minos (L.colemani): Taken from the mythical creature 'Minotaur' reason for this is rather simple, unlike other species of spearers the eyes on L.colemani are very wide apart and have a pair of 'horns' in between them much like the bullhead of the minotaur, the L.colemani also sports rusty colours of faded red / light browns similar to fur colors.

Leviathan (L.maculata): Taken from the mythical creature directly, reasons for this and the common description for the 'Leviathan' in myth is a large serpent like sea creature, L.maculata is the largest of all stomatopod species and a very intimidating species.

Juggernaut (O.scyllarus): Taken from the villain in the comic 'X-men', reasons for this are simple, like Juggernaut out of 'X-men' the O.scyllarus is a large smashing species and not many things in the aquarium can prevent it from breaking through albeit rock, rubble, filter, heater, glass etc.

Just a few of mine :) but ever since naming them all I certainly have grown more attached and I know when 1 passes on it will hit me hard...

cakemanPA
03/27/2013, 07:24 PM
Naming fish has always been the kiss of death in the past for me... No names for the fishes here

Dave Thebrewguy
03/27/2013, 07:37 PM
Naming fish has always been the kiss of death in the past for me... No names for the fishes here
+1,
A few decades ago I started my first tank and, inevitably, lost a few of my first fish. A fishkeeping friend pointed out that "once you name a fish, it's more likely to die." I've named a few over the years and many have lived a long time, but for the most part, the lesson has stuck with me.

MiracleFish
03/27/2013, 07:50 PM
I have either a peanut worm that looks like a cucumber worm that hitch hiked that I just called Peanut. And of course my one clownfish is called Nemo. The Cleaner shrimp's name is pierre.

rickjd
03/27/2013, 07:54 PM
Nope never name of of my fish. But everyone always ask me "whats their names?" Go figure!!!

MondoBongo
03/27/2013, 07:55 PM
We name all ours. Pennywise and Krusty, our clowns. C3PO, our yellow tang. Kris LeTang our yellow eyed kole tang. Oscar our grouchy lawnmower blenny, etc...

Its fun and makes them easier to point out.

tphill
03/27/2013, 08:01 PM
I have a clownfish in my 38g, his name is Nemo. I have a pair in another tank, they are Coral and Marlin. I have 2 damsels in another tank, they are Dumb and Dumber.

badbreath
03/27/2013, 08:13 PM
My clown is named Nemo... Jk her name is Iron Tail McBattle Fury... Cleaner shrimp died... Eaten by brittle star was named Bob Sagat... So was Videncio the ywg :'( and Benny the lawnmower blenny :''(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pyroboy1der
03/27/2013, 08:34 PM
The only thing in my tank you could say has a proper name is my pair of clown fish. He is "Little Buddy" and she is "Big mama". It was just easier than calling them "male clown" and "female clown".

Everything else pretty much gets called by it's common name. My yellow eye Kole Tang is just "tang" my skunk cleaner shrimp is just "cleaner shrimp" and so on....

whiteshark
03/27/2013, 08:35 PM
I don't but a friend of mine named my firefish alfalfa.

We name all ours. Pennywise and Krusty, our clowns. C3PO, our yellow tang. Kris LeTang our yellow eyed kole tang. Oscar our grouchy lawnmower blenny, etc...

Its fun and makes them easier to point out.

Ugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U

worm5406
03/27/2013, 09:29 PM
my 10yo names the snails.... Until he saw me feed them one day and about 30 came out of the sand.

SushiGirl
03/27/2013, 09:52 PM
I never named a freshwater fish. Most of my saltwater fish & all of my shrimp have names. It's easier to figure out who we're talking about when you have more than one of each kind of fish.

Shaun v
03/27/2013, 09:57 PM
My B&W clown is named Elvis because he dances a lot.
My Pajama Cardinal is Calvin because he is designer like Calvin Kline
My goby already cam with a good name, Hector (he is a Hector's Goby)
My porcelain crab is Lenix
My brown blotch snail is Lilly

greg1786
03/27/2013, 10:02 PM
My gf names every fish and invert i buy. She usually names them after alcoholic beverages so we have jack, johnny, jamison, jim, jose, and my least favorite of all... Malibu. I tried to veto the last one but that didnt go so well in my favor lol. I can never remember who is who but i at least know what names she has picked so far!

Ngoodermuth
03/27/2013, 10:03 PM
My mandarin is named William Shatner

because....he..moves....like this

docstomper
03/27/2013, 10:10 PM
My clown is named Nemo... Jk her name is Iron Tail McBattle Fury... Cleaner shrimp died... Eaten by brittle star was named Bob Sagat... So was Videncio the ywg :'( and Benny the lawnmower blenny :''(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dota 2 for the Clown!? Non probably knows what I am talking about.

brizhound
03/27/2013, 10:22 PM
I always choose odd names. My clowns name is Spartacus my Sailfin's name is Vegas. My fish only get names if they have personality. If they don't I'll let my kids or wife name them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Derbird
03/27/2013, 10:52 PM
I never set out to name my fish, but over time they seem to earn a name LOL

chrismayu
03/27/2013, 10:57 PM
My Kids have names for every fish.

MondoBongo
03/28/2013, 04:16 AM
I don't but a friend of mine named my firefish alfalfa.

Ugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U

I couldn't help myself. Best defenseman in the NHL and best fish pun I could think of. :spin1: