PDA

View Full Version : Placing Live Rock on PVC Pipe

mmedeiros2
03/27/2013, 05:21 PM
When I was learning a few years back, I believe that I read a post that someone claimed to place their live rock on cut pieces of PVC pipe that was cut so that it was a bit below the top of the sand. This allowed for movement under the rock.
Has anyone out there done this.
Thanks

albano
03/27/2013, 05:43 PM
I drilled most of my base rock, and glued in acrylic rod as 'legs', that keep the rock a few inches over the sand. It is more stable, digging with not topple rocks, have more hiding/sleeping areas, and has been no problems for more than 10 years

Dozer1one
03/27/2013, 07:17 PM
I did exactly that with my last fowlr tank. It works well , just know that you will also need an epoxy to fill the holes with to get the pcs at the right height for them to sit exactly as you want them to. You can try to just place the LR on the pcs of pipe but its a mother fu**er to get them to stay

mmedeiros2
03/28/2013, 07:11 AM
I was going to use 2" pipe. I would cut aprox. 2" long pieces and place them on the bottom glass, through a 3" sand bed. The rock will not have to balance. It will sink 1" into the sand and rest on the stood up pipe. I was even thinking of drilling a bunch of three eights holes in them for airiation, water, snd critter movement inside or through the pieces of pipe. This way the sand in the center of the pipe is not stagnet.