PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Tang with Ick question

sw_df27
03/27/2013, 05:49 PM
I recently (3 months ago) upgraded my 30 gallon to a 90 gallon everything is doing great and I'm ready to add another fish I'm really wanting a hippo tang I have passed on several smaller ones due to the lfs telling me they are pretty finiky eaters when they are small and I'm still fairly new to this hobby and not to confident in my skills yet but they have a larger one that beautiful except it has ick so they have kept it for a week on hold for me to see if it would go away on it's own it's still eating good and acting fine they say but I'm concerned I have some pretty expensive stuff in my tank already (expensive to me) and would be pretty upset if I knowingly caused them all to get ich and die so what are the chances if they get the ick to go away it will get it again when I move it to my tank? Or should I just pass on the Hippo Tang all together from what I'm reading is they are very prone to ick and the lfs told me it will more then likely come back

HumbleFish
03/27/2013, 08:56 PM
This is going to sound rude, but there are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.....

Don't ever buy a fish that has Ich, don't ever put a fish in your DT without QT'ing first (especially one you know has Ich), and don't put a Hippo in a 90 gal tank. Even a baby will outgrow your tank in no time.

MrTuskfish
03/28/2013, 01:15 PM
Your LFS guy is a prime example of why so many folks but fish online. A LFS employee who doesn't understand the ich life cycle would be like me working as a Porsch mechanic. I'd research fish before buying and never ask the lfs for advice on anything. LA is a good, honest, basic source of quick info. The LA site has tons of info, check the resources as well as the individual fish profiles. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

snorvich
03/29/2013, 06:29 AM
Unfortunately, I agree with the two posts above, and despite MrTuskfish's superb credibility in the area of marine aquaria and parasitology, would not let him fix my car. Yet, when all is said and done, we are responsible for our own decisions. A P. hepatus needs an 8 foot tank as a minimum not a 90 gallon tank. I would never rely on that LFS for advice as they clearly have no idea of anything pertaining to the world of parasites with respect to marine fish.

snorvich
03/29/2013, 06:55 AM
Oh, I forgot one thing for the OP. Since one fish in the LFS system has ich, the probability that all fish in that LFS system having ich (although maybe not visible symptoms) is very high.