PDA

View Full Version : Where do you place a Coco Worm?

justthewife
03/27/2013, 08:27 PM
I got a Coco Worm for my birthday and know nothing about them. Where does one put them? I tucked the tube behind a rock so the head sticks out. Will it attach somehow?

I also received a green hairy mushroom. It is beautiful but again, I know nothing about them.

dg3147
03/27/2013, 08:29 PM
No, they dont attach at all. u can epoxy it or just wedge it in.

worm5406
03/27/2013, 10:29 PM
No shrimp in the tank too, is there?

Someone said be careful with peppermint shrimp and some of the feather dusters.

Lets see some pictures.

justthewife
03/28/2013, 05:55 AM
No shrimp in the tank too, is there?

Someone said be careful with peppermint shrimp and some of the feather dusters.

Lets see some pictures.

Yes, I have already figured out that the peppermint shrimp bug EVERYTHING. They can be soooo annoying. When I first put the Coco Worm in there, the peppermint shrimp went after it so I moved it and put it in a higher flow area where the shrimp don't like it. So far so good. The shrimp also went after my new Hairy Mushroom and one of the polyps spilled its guts but seemed to bounce back. The Shrimp puts its legs right inside the mouths of these things to get the ingested food out. They did the same to my GBTA until he got bigger (now he fights back). I still like the shrimp though and they are there for other possible pests. It almost appears like when I catch them doing something bad, they stop and look at me like "I didn't do anything. It wasn't me." :lmao:

I have my fingers crossed on the Coco Worm. I really like it but don't know how it will do in my tank as I seem to be missing all of my hitchhiker feather dusters (which also could have been from moving rock around and squishing them by accident). How do these creatures survive in the wild? I do have an abundance of tunicates though, all on one rock.

worm5406
03/28/2013, 07:44 AM
Rock does not move as often as we want it to.

justthewife
03/28/2013, 08:14 AM
Picture of Coco Worm

Palting
03/28/2013, 09:50 AM
Coco worms like lower flow and low to moderate light, so place them appropriately. The flow should be just enough to make their "feathers" sway. They are more tolerant to light than flow, so you can place them out in the open. I have mine tucked behind a rock to block the high flow in my tank, and shaded by an overhanging acro. They also require high nutrients, so I target feed mine about 3X a week. They are vey intolerant of poor water parameters as well. As you can tell, coco worms can be a challenge. :)

Mushrooms, OTOH, are easy. They are tolerant of a wide range of light, flow, and nutrients, so much so they can take over your tank! :D

Here's a vid of my coco taken about a year ago. Flow is just a tad on the high side, so it likes to hide, but it has grown considerably since this vid was taken.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6-yXR7eU1LY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>