PDA

View Full Version : Can someone ID this pest? on my hammer coral?

justthewife
03/27/2013, 10:03 PM
I have been watching this spot on my hammer coral for a few months now. When I bought the coral I didn't notice it. The trunk of the coral did appear as it does now in the picture but not with the dark spot. Just now I was looking at the spot with a flashlight and noticed something inside the spot or maybe the spot itself reacts to light. It was like a head retracted into it. The color is a brownish purple color with some black. I also noticed that it has white strings coming out of it. I don't know if you can see from the pic but it's the best I could do. Does anyone know of any kind of pest that could be on my hammer coral? The coral is doing well when it is fully out. It has grown a lot. This picture is when the coral is retracted when the lights go out. That is when I can see and notice this strange spot. Whatever it is, it is alive and getting bigger. :uhoh3: When I first saw it, I thought it was just another head growing on the coral. Any ideas?

worm5406
03/27/2013, 10:16 PM
Vermitid snail

It would be best to get rid of it off the hammer as it will irritate it.

justthewife
03/27/2013, 10:34 PM
how do i get it off the coral? Tweezers? Do they eat the coral or just live there?

worm5406
03/27/2013, 10:36 PM
Some people use superglue and seal the end.

justthewife
03/27/2013, 10:43 PM
Ok, thank you. My husband will be thrilled I found yet another critter for him to dispose of. :facepalm: NOT. He keeps telling me to stop looking for things.

worm5406
03/27/2013, 10:48 PM
Hey... just tell him if he stopped looking for things he would have never found you and to get in there and get rid of it.....

LOL

justthewife
03/27/2013, 10:59 PM
:thumbsup: