PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes the simplest solution works the best.

serion
03/28/2013, 06:25 AM
After months of dealing with a noisy return pump in my sump I've finally found a way to get it nearly silent. I have a Marineland NJ1800 and it started out fairly quiet but now 9 months later it has a noticeable loud hum. First, I took it apart and cleaned it really well, and made sure there was nothing in the pump or on the impeller. After that failed, I worked with Marineland to replace the impeller under warranty. That helped a lot but even after there was still a pretty noticeable hum that was about to drive me crazy. :headwallblue: I was to the point that I was about to order a new pump and throw mine out.

This morning I took a sandwich bag and filled it full of pool filter sand, double bagged to keep it from getting busted in my sump, and placed it under the return pump. Voila! Instant quiet. The hum is gone! :celeb1:

Cymonous
03/28/2013, 06:43 AM
That's a pretty good idea. As long as you don't have a pump that sucks from underneath itself. Did you try foam or anything else under the pump before the sandbag?

dirkomatic
03/28/2013, 06:47 AM
I'm going to try this with my pumps. Right now everything is not too bad, but I'm replacing my sump soon, so I'll be able to do this.

Thanks!

serion
03/28/2013, 07:43 AM
That's a pretty good idea. As long as you don't have a pump that sucks from underneath itself. Did you try foam or anything else under the pump before the sandbag?

The sand bag was the first thing I've tried. My pump sucks from the side so there are no issues there. The sand bag was really the only I had on hand to try. I thought about trying a sponge or something but didn't have one.

Palting
03/28/2013, 11:40 AM
People have also used mouse pads. Cut it to shape and place it under the pump. Doesn't the Maineland pump sit on suction cup "legs"? Mine does, and it's been quiet for 3 years.

bnumair
03/28/2013, 12:39 PM
BRS sells small rubber cushion pads for pumps.

serion
03/28/2013, 12:48 PM
People have also used mouse pads. Cut it to shape and place it under the pump. Doesn't the Maineland pump sit on suction cup "legs"? Mine does, and it's been quiet for 3 years.

Yes it does, but even on the suction cups is was noisy enough I could hear it over my TV being turned up. Now on the sandbag I can't hear it at all.

sleepydoc
03/28/2013, 05:40 PM
You can also use a silicone hot pad from Target or Walmart