PDA

View Full Version : 'Normal' Behavior for Ocellaris Clownfish?

Olof
03/28/2013, 06:51 AM
Hello,

I placed a pair of Clownfish in the main tank four days ago. It seems they're intent on staying in the upper right-hand corner of the tank and swimming against the current created by one of my return lines.

I don't think they're getting enough food during feeding time. I've even turned off the main Vortech pumps so current is minimized but they stay in that corner.

I'm worried they're going to exhaust themselves or starve. Should I be concerned, or will they eventually settle down and explore/use the rest of the tank?

No other fish in the tank at this time.

Thanks in advance.

devimik
03/28/2013, 12:05 PM
Mine did that when I first put them in and for many weeks after that. They still sort of hang out and sleep in the mid-level right front corner of the tank. Now, especially during feeding, they do venture across the tank often, but always end up swimming in that corner. I think what you're seeing is normal.

reefer91
03/28/2013, 12:10 PM
This is normal. Give it time :)

Green_Lionfish
03/28/2013, 12:13 PM
Mine did the same thing, he won't even eat much at all. This has been happening for about 10 days. Now, they eat and roam around like crazy. They'll get there.

Tlecluyse
03/28/2013, 12:21 PM
Mine have done this since day one I have had them about 6 months and they still stay in the same spot... They are super healthy and eat like pigs I think it's like a safety blanket for them, mine will swim across the tank to come see me or my wife but then go right back to their spot lol

sirreal63
03/28/2013, 12:39 PM
They are weird little fish, I had one that fell in love with a MaxiJet. He would sleep behind it, carry food to it and attach anything that got close to it, including me. What yours is doing is very normal, don't worry about it.

howaboutme
03/28/2013, 01:16 PM
Mine are 1.5 weeks old in my tank and are currently "hosting" the top right as well.

MondoBongo
03/28/2013, 01:54 PM
my percula are very similar. they initially picked the back corner of the tank and hosted there. they wouldn't stray far.

unfortunately one jumped out. we got a new clown (and a screen top) and my existing clown and the new guy decided to re-host in the front of the tank.

but they always seem to prefer the top corners of the tank. i have some nice corals, but they're not interested. they eat like pigs now and will beg for food every time i walk in to the room.

give them time. :)

Olof
03/29/2013, 04:48 AM
Thanks to everyone for replying. I'll relax.