PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dust in my tank!

cy93
03/28/2013, 07:03 AM
My tank is located just below a staircase, having said that, members of my family use the staircase, I also have two golden retrievers have the need to use the staircase (don't ask me why), hence i constantly have to put up with removing hair and small debris, well i've quite had it with and need to do something. I don't really want to put a hood as the tank is rimless; moreover i'm not sure if a hood is possible as above the aquarium is an incline slope that would not allow it to be positioned on top of the aquarium, is there anything I could do? appreciate any help.

whiteshark
03/28/2013, 07:09 AM
Maybe put a fan nearby that blows across the top of the tank?

Cymonous
03/28/2013, 07:12 AM
You could build a canopy that goes on a slope from the stairway and over. Just make sure the back is open or has netting/screen to allow air exchange.

thegrun
03/28/2013, 07:49 AM
You can increase your surface draw into the overflow and add a filter sock to your sump if you are using a sump on the system.

Shaun v
03/28/2013, 09:00 AM
You could add a piece of glass that covers the tank. Measure the inside dimensions and have a piece cut at a local glass company to fit inside. There are plastic pieces that slide over the rim of the tank and the glass sets on those. It doesn't bother me to have this on my tank and it helps with evaporation too. Here is a picture of my rimless with a glass cover. It helps but doesn't stop everything. I bet if you did the fan blowing across and the glass, it would help a lot.

Cymonous
03/28/2013, 09:51 AM
You could try the glass idea Shaun suggested, but it may affect your PAR rating from your lights and will affect corals if you have some.

danil
03/28/2013, 12:26 PM
Rimless are super in a way they look but unfortunately they are not best in terms of keeping fish (inside) and keep debris (and cat paws) out of your tank. Also extra evaporation requires bigger ATO water reservoir. So I would follow shaun advise and put a glass lid on it.
On a side note I lost six fish to jumping in my rimless. All but tang eventually decided that they would feel themselves better on the floor then inside the tank.

cy93
03/28/2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. Here's what I think:

Cymonous, well the canopy with a slope was what i initially thought off as well, however it defeats the purpose of having a rimless tank and to me that's my last resort.

thegrun, how would i be able to increase the surface draw into the overflow? I currently have filter socks.

Shaun v, I like the idea, and will go with something similar.

Here's what I plan on doing, basically have a sheet of acrylic say 6mm thick sit on top of the aquarium, however it will not cover the entire depth of the tank (illustrated better in the attachment) option A would mean the sheet could not fall in the tank so its probably what i'm going with. Yes id probably will loose some PAR rating but i guess its either the PAR or the hood. What do you guys think?

Sk8r
03/28/2013, 02:42 PM
I'd suggest getting some 1x1's and sheetrock and 'skinning' the underside of that staircase. You don't have to paint it: just stop the dust from coming down. Nail the 1x1's 'up' the whole run of stairs, about 3 of them, then skin it with sheetrock, plastic, you name it.

cy93
03/28/2013, 03:44 PM
Thank you sk8r will follow your advice as well. Also thank you for taking the time to write down a lot of the articles here on Reef Central; been really helpful to me.

Sk8r
03/28/2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you. I wish you luck!