PDA

View Full Version : Is this aiptasia?

lextheimpaler
03/28/2013, 07:41 AM
Just bought some live rock to cycle my tank? Is this Aiptasia? What is the best way to get rid of them? Peppermint shrimp?

worm5406
03/28/2013, 07:56 AM
Sure does look like it.

Is it a lot?

Take a cup of tank water, in a microwave safe container.
Put it in the microwave for 2 minutes
Remove with a hot pad or pot holder.
Take to tank along with turkey baster.
At tank quickly suckup Boiling hot water, in baster.
Quickly, as to not loose the heat, put baster in water and ONLY ONLY ONLY squirt it RIGHT OVER/ON the aptasia WITHOUT getting it on anything else.

<WARNING: when using turkey baster DO NOT turn and let the water go into the bulb part, this will superheat the air and cause an expanding air bubble to forcefully push out boiling hot water at anyone downstream of the baster tip.>

This will take all of 3 minutes including the microwave heatup.

lextheimpaler
03/28/2013, 08:03 AM
Sure does look like it.

Is it a lot?

Take a cup of tank water, in a microwave safe container.
Put it in the microwave for 2 minutes
Remove with a hot pad or pot holder.
Take to tank along with turkey baster.
At tank quickly suckup Boiling hot water, in baster.
Quickly, as to not loose the heat, put baster in water and ONLY ONLY ONLY squirt it RIGHT OVER/ON the aptasia WITHOUT getting it on anything else.

<WARNING: when using turkey baster DO NOT turn and let the water go into the bulb part, this will superheat the air and cause an expanding air bubble to forcefully push out boiling hot water at anyone downstream of the baster tip.>

This will take all of 3 minutes including the microwave heatup.

thanks, quite a lot ..

reeftobe
03/28/2013, 09:02 AM
These suckers can become a nightmare.

Is this the only one? Can you get the rock out somewhat easily and cut the rock out around him to make sure he is removed completly?

Kalk past and Joes juice supposedly work pretty good. Copperband butterfly and peppermint shrimp rumored to eat them too. Behring (sp) nudibranchs supposedly ony eat them

reeftobe
03/28/2013, 09:09 AM
Just came across this thread. Good info for you;
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2277099

lextheimpaler
03/28/2013, 09:23 AM
These suckers can become a nightmare.

Is this the only one? Can you get the rock out somewhat easily and cut the rock out around him to make sure he is removed completly?

Kalk past and Joes juice supposedly work pretty good. Copperband butterfly and peppermint shrimp rumored to eat them too. Behring (sp) nudibranchs supposedly ony eat them

Thanks reeftobe. Lucky i only bought 3 pieces of live rock. Took them out and blowtorched the buggers with my cigar lighter..

TimeConsumer
03/28/2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks reeftobe. Lucky i only bought 3 pieces of live rock. Took them out and blowtorched the buggers with my cigar lighter..

That's what I do too. Excellent plan.

lextheimpaler
03/28/2013, 10:26 AM
That's what I do too. Excellent plan.

Very therapeutic but I might add a copper band for good measure. PP shrimps didnt do much for me in my last tank.

Megatrev62
03/28/2013, 12:47 PM
Slay the beast!!!!!!

nynick
03/28/2013, 03:39 PM
Very therapeutic but I might add a copper band for good measure. PP shrimps didnt do much for me in my last tank.

A copperband that will likely starve to death after he finished your 1 Aiptasia.

OrQidz
03/28/2013, 05:09 PM
I like the heated water idea, but I would personally only use freshly made water and not water from the tank. At least if the microwave is used for food also....with all the germs, palytoxins etc I wouldn't want tank water in there. I suppose the microwave would kill everything but you never know.

King Reefin
03/28/2013, 05:27 PM
Super glue.

nynick
03/28/2013, 05:39 PM
Never tried the boiling water method but I tried a variety of others with varying degrees of success. Only method with 100% success rate for me was to make a thick paste out of Kalk/water and cement the little bugger in. It doesn't matter if you do it perfectly or not as long as it is covered fairly well as this is the nuclear bomb approach to Aiptasia eradication. It doesn't recover, spread, move or hide, it dies.

P.S. It also leaves an ugly light patch where nothing will grow for months so make sure you can turn the rock to hide it.

nynick
03/28/2013, 05:41 PM
Super glue.

nice! :) Never thought of that. Now I have to go out shopping for infested frags just to try it out. :)

Bpb
03/28/2013, 05:59 PM
Peppermint shrimps never ate them for me. They sure enjoyed some of my rhodactus though. Yes they were the right kind too. Proper use of Aiptasia X worked for me. At one point I had about 50. There are usually one or two that manage to sneak past my eye till they get big enough. Treating one or two is no big deal to me. Just make sure to keep them in check. Don't ignore them.

KeithB
03/28/2013, 06:12 PM
A copperband that will likely starve to death after he finished your 1 Aiptasia.

Yup! If you put a live creature in there to fix a problem, make sure you can still care for (feed) it once the problem is gone.

GroktheCube
03/28/2013, 06:20 PM
Kalk paste works well. Aim for the mouth, and keep going until its completely covered.

I've found that covering pests completely with kalk is a good way to kill them. Its worked for hydroids for me too.

worm5406
03/28/2013, 08:53 PM
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WmQOKIw4PKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

smaione618
03/29/2013, 03:01 AM
i am currently fighting this problem also the best chem to use is aptasia x but i have went threw three bottles of it and cant ever get ahead of it so i got a copperband and hopefully he wil do the job. good luck