PDA

View Full Version : Super loud durso drain system...should I try a herbie setup?

DavidinGA
03/28/2013, 12:19 PM
I'm in the building process of my 210gal tank and just recently got it all plumbed and found it to be SUPER loud as the drains dump in the sump (super turbulent air/water mix going on). It was a used 210gal all glass brand tank I bought that came with 2 AGA mega overflows
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/08/ysyte6yg.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/08/a9a5yze2.jpg

Two holes in each overflow
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/08/jydygasa.jpg

I am using an Eheim 1262 return pump (not tee'd off anywhere) and I have about 6ft of height from the floor to the tank; so I'm probably at what 700gph in the tank?

My drain lines are 1.25in spa flex. One goes straight down and the other has a T and a valve that drains some into the separate fuge area.

My drains in the overflow boxes are dead silent and constant water levels but the drains in the sump are crazy loud and filled with micro and big bubbles.

I'm guessing my two mega flows can't handle 700gph of flow without creating a turbulent flow? I tried to regulate the amount of air going into the megaflows by partial capping the holes on the top with my fingers but it didn't seem to do much good; cover them too much and I got surging and if just partially covered it didn't make much (if any) difference.

Should I give up on the durso and try a herbie style setup (one full siphon and one backup)? Or are their some other options to stop the turbulent cascading into the sump?

I understand with the herbie style that I would use a gate/ball valve on the main drain to regulate the flow...would this have any benefit on my current durso setup to try to minimize the excess air in the lines or would it just create surging?

So yay or nay on a herbie setup?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxHM_2DafUJ_XlYbvTU2nq9sjAJeeBnt1Zcdx5rApxeGFfIrGwPg

Thanks
David

...oh I can't do a bean animal since my tank is flush against the wall

Edit: Forgot to add my drain lines in the sump are underwater. I tried them out of the water, through a sock, against the glass, inside a 4"pvc pipe with holes drilled in it, all to no avail...

amutti
03/28/2013, 12:32 PM
Too much flow into the tank would be my guess. Have you tried restricting it?

DavidinGA
03/28/2013, 12:35 PM
Too much flow into the tank would be my guess. Have you tried restricting it?

I didn't run a valve on the return as this is a little pump for a 210gal and I'm not feeding any other equipment off the return.

Drae
03/28/2013, 12:56 PM
Herbie and the bean are the only way to go.

DavidinGA
03/28/2013, 01:09 PM
So for the herbie I would just build two new standpipes one with a 90degree down for the main siphon drain (6-8" lower than backup) and the other one I would put a 90degree up as the backup/emergency/slight trickle line right? Then a gate/ball valve on the main line to fine tune the drain speed?

java
03/28/2013, 01:22 PM
No slight trickle in the emergency but yes everything else sounds good. although i dont think they need to be so far apart.

DavidinGA
03/28/2013, 01:25 PM
Is it okay if I make my main drain my line that also T's off and feeds my fuge or will that cause problems? (I would put the gate/ball valve before the T)

Pastey
03/28/2013, 01:27 PM
Get that tee and valve off your drain. To supply your fuge, you should be supplying it with your return pump and tee/valve.

DavidinGA
03/28/2013, 01:50 PM
Get that tee and valve off your drain. To supply your fuge, you should be supplying it with your return pump and tee/valve.

Will it cause problems with the herbie drain or what?

Pastey
03/28/2013, 01:56 PM
Everything I've always been told is that you should keep your drains as simple and direct as possible. I can't say it will or won't interfere with your herbie or not, though.

DavidinGA
03/28/2013, 07:35 PM
What's the point of the elbows on the herbie drain? I've seen some with them and some with just a straight pipe and strainer.

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

keithhays
03/28/2013, 07:47 PM
That is NOT a Durso drain. That is something, but I am not sure what. Given that it looks like your drains are 1" or less, I would go with the full siphon method or you will likely have a drainage issue. i.e. too much flow in too little pipe space. I will never under stand why tanks are even built with 1" drains.

DavidinGA
03/29/2013, 10:48 AM
So... No one has a pvc gate valve in my area. Will a ball valve work (after long tedious adjustments) for a Herbie setup?

Aquaaddicted
03/29/2013, 12:57 PM
I did a Herbie and it is almost silent except for some humming from various pumps definitely get the gate valves ball valves are not precise enough brs has them get the better ones they can be taken apart to be cleaned

DopeCantWin
03/29/2013, 01:09 PM
I did a Herbie and it is almost silent except for some humming from various pumps definitely get the gate valves ball valves are not precise enough brs has them get the better ones they can be taken apart to be cleaned

+1. Redoing my overflow in a Herbie silenced waterflow in my 210. I have roughly 2400 gph coming out of the return into the tank.

Pastey
03/29/2013, 01:12 PM
Looks like it was a durso with an emergency standpipe.

MrClam
03/29/2013, 01:54 PM
+1 on the gate valve. I set up my Herbie with ball valves because I had to order gate and it is a pain at times to adjust. It can be done but for the money its worth it to get a gate.

Not sure why you have such a big gap (6-8") between emergency and main drain? (I may just be confused) Remember that the emergency is the height that the water will rise to in the event that the main gets clogged. So take into account the extra water that will be pulled from the sump in order to fill that overflow volume. Id suggest setting the emergency drain at about 1/2 above the water height in the overflow. For herbie no water should normally be going through the emergency drain.

DavidinGA
03/30/2013, 08:19 PM
Well I plumb some stand pipes and made a Herbie setup but I never found a local store with gate valves so I used a ball valve I had laying around. I can't seem to get it dialed down to keep the emergency dry it always has a trickle. I'm guessing it's because this clumsy ball valve I have isn't very easy to get fine tune.

I went from super super load drainage in the sump to whisper quiet though! :D

Now I need to order a ball valve and maybe a strainer or two. Did you guys add a strainer or drill some holes in the pvc and cap the stand pipes or something to keep the pipe clear of snails/others?

MrClam
03/31/2013, 06:37 PM
I drilled the PVC. I had issues with strainers because my snails would crawl on top of the mesh and slow flow enough that it would cause the emergency to come into play. There was no algae on the strainer so I swear they just did it to antagonize me.

GroktheCube
03/31/2013, 07:34 PM
I'd definitely order a gate valve.

In my Herbie setup, I just have a downturned elbow siphon, and a straight open pipe.

If a snail ever climbs down the drain, I have the emergency. If the emergency ever fails, I have a float switch on the apex that will turn off the return pump.

Strainers seem like they'd reduce flow and increase the amount of fine tuning needed to keep the emergency dry.