PDA

View Full Version : Repainting A Stand

Down
03/28/2013, 12:32 PM
I'm purchasing a new aquarium setup soon that has a stand I will need to repaint and I need some advice. I've done a LOT of reading on this topic but this is my first saltwater setup, so between all of the reading I've had to do on equipment/setup, my brain just may be fried at this point. The stand has already been painted white on the outside (don't believe there's any laminate, this does not look like your typical fish store stand) and unfinished on the inside. My original plan had been to:
Lightly sand everything
Use white appliance epoxy on the interior of the stand
Primer the outside
Paint the outside
Poly the outside
This plan is most likely out the window though as, due to some outside factors, I really only have about a week to pull this off. From what I can see, that's not going to be NEARLY enough time to allow for all of the exterior coats to dry/cure. So....any suggestions? I've seen some mention of using exterior paint for the water resistance (my main driving factor in using the poly) but haven't looked heavily into it. Do I have any options here? Should I just skip any kind of poly/sealent as it's not really that necessary?
:uhoh3:

username in use
03/28/2013, 12:50 PM
How much do you plan on splashing this thing? I would just use an exterior paint and not look back. In all honesty, for the outside of the tank I would feel comfortable with just an interior white semi gloss.

Down
03/28/2013, 12:57 PM
How much do you plan on splashing this thing? I would just use an exterior paint and not look back. In all honesty, for the outside of the tank I would feel comfortable with just an interior white semi gloss.
As little as possible. :lol2:
This is why I kind of wanted a "sanity check". One thing I've learned in using enthusiast forums to learn about hobbies is that it will net you some fantastic knowledge BUT, sometimes I tend to lose sight of the line between what is really necessary and what is the "perfect solution".

kriv4o
03/28/2013, 01:43 PM
I've always used couple of heavy coats of Rust-oleum inside and out on all my stands. Very pleased with the results.

Down
03/28/2013, 02:12 PM
I've always used couple of heavy coats of Rust-oleum inside and out on all my stands. Very pleased with the results.
No primer?

trinimaddness
03/28/2013, 02:16 PM
if you're going to paint the exterior darker than whats already there i personally wouldnt use primer just give it a light sanding..if you can you should do everything outdoors

Down
03/28/2013, 03:12 PM
if you're going to paint the exterior darker than whats already there i personally wouldnt use primer just give it a light sanding..if you can you should do everything outdoors
Yeah, I'm going from white to black, perhaps I'm still overestimating the necessary effort here. I think that given the humidity inside the stand I'll still go with the appliance epoxy in there for piece of mind but may just make this an easier weekend on myself and just throw a couple coats of good paint on it and call it done.
I probably won't be doing it outside but it'll be well ventilated. Probably going to do it in the garage with the doors open and a fan blowing out. The bummer about living in the desert is the constant dirt in the air, lol.