PDA

View Full Version : Identify this... If you can

i Tuna
03/28/2013, 02:46 PM
In the picture below look for the little white things on the LR...

This is a piece of LR I got from the lfs two weeks back, also, the sandbed is 1/2 lfs bought and 1/2 natural from my local beach that is also home to some nice lps reef's, grass beds w/ seahorses, and some porite colonies. Also, the water was originally from the beach as well (however I think it was pretty nutrient rich as there was a lot of algae growth in the sea at the time :hammer: )

Anyway, these little white things popped ALL OVER my LR on both pieces which were bought from two different stores, so I suspect something spawned in the sand or larvae matured... Just guessing at this point...

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd391/Drukkar/5a0e1325-9662-41c5-928e-b8937f4e7d60_zps642aadfa.jpg?t=1364503319

If anyone knows what this is I'd appreciate it if you could tell me :)

Regards,

Walid.

squishifishi
03/28/2013, 03:32 PM
I see them, but I can't really tell. give us a more detailed written description, and we'll get back to ya!
sounds like a fantastic tank!

Allmost
03/28/2013, 03:34 PM
seems like some sort of anemone. following along :)

the water from the persian Gulf is pretty dirty though !

ACBlinky
03/28/2013, 04:06 PM
Are they moving, fixed to a substrate, do they 'wander', are they growing? I wonder if they're baby jellies -- just a wild guess, since I saw a nature show ages ago, where the jellyfish larvae start out like a line of polyps, then separate, settle, mature and begin swimming and they looked very much like what's in your picture.

They could also be anemones, or a type of coral polyp, or something else entirely -- if you've got sand/rock straight off the beach, all sorts of interesting lifeforms may have been introduced to the tank that wouldn't usually survive on live sand or live rock because it has to undergo such a long, difficult journey before getting to a hobbyist's tank. keep us updated, I'm very curious!

i Tuna
03/28/2013, 11:37 PM
seems like some sort of anemone. following along :)

the water from the persian Gulf is pretty dirty though !

To be honest, the water is almost perfectly clear and clean towards southern Kuwait, that is also where most of the reefs are.

The issue comes when you try to go to the beach when you're in the city or next to any industrial area. Unfortunately the government here doesn't really give two s**** about the environment and they allow all waste to be dumped into the Arabian Gulf, hence the polluted water in mid / northern Kuwait.

i Tuna
03/28/2013, 11:43 PM
Are they moving, fixed to a substrate, do they 'wander', are they growing? I wonder if they're baby jellies -- just a wild guess, since I saw a nature show ages ago, where the jellyfish larvae start out like a line of polyps, then separate, settle, mature and begin swimming and they looked very much like what's in your picture.

They could also be anemones, or a type of coral polyp, or something else entirely -- if you've got sand/rock straight off the beach, all sorts of interesting lifeforms may have been introduced to the tank that wouldn't usually survive on live sand or live rock because it has to undergo such a long, difficult journey before getting to a hobbyist's tank. keep us updated, I'm very curious!

The are fixed to all the LR I have, only appearing in places directly under the light. They seem to be filter feeding as I sometimes see individual tentacles slowly move towards the mouth cavity as if it caught something.

Interesting thought that they could be anemone's. I've seen giant carpets from time to time get pushed close to shore with the currents, could be a awesome if these were babies... Although I am probably getting ahead of my self and they're most likely going to turn out to be some pest anemone lol

So far, they have not grown and only popped up in my 'Kuwait Tank' since two days ago. They haven't grown that I can tell since then.

Regards,

Walid.