PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed setting up temp tank for upgrade

pool guy
03/28/2013, 06:47 PM
Hello All,
Just a few questions. Background- I currently have a 110 tall (48") tank and I'm upgrading to a 125 long (72"). I have the new tank, and built the new stand framework. Here is where the delima comes in. I'm putting the new tank exactly where the old tank is currently up and running.

So my thoughts are this. I have a 75 gallon i'm not using. I was going to set it up on the other side of the room to house my fish and corals while I break down the old tank and set up the new one. I'm using all of my existing live rock and adding some new dry rock and new live sand (I know, I know... but I got 5 bags for free so.....)

Questions:
1. should I move my LR to the temp tank or just do bare bottom with pvc tubes for shelter for fish while storing all LR in a tank with water?

2. can I just move existing sump under the 75 temporary tank or just use HOB filter or canister?

3. I'm thinking I'd rather be safe than sorry and cycle the new tank with all new water, new sand, old LR and new dry rock. Will all my fish be ok in the 75 gallon during that process?

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions. I'm taking this slow so I'm in no hurry, but I do want to have a very detailed and thought out plan for this upgrade.

thegrun
03/28/2013, 08:56 PM
1. I would move the rock in with the fish for denitrifing purposes.
2. either option is fine.
3. You are going to want to keep the majority of the live rock in with the fish. I would cycle the new rock in a Brute trash can before the move and just get the move done into the new tank in one day.

pool guy
03/28/2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks thegrun !!!
Thats exactly what I was thinking, but wanted some supporting comments.

I was just worried about the stuff in the "live" sand causing a cycle........

borderreef
03/29/2013, 06:34 PM
I personally don't think there's enough "live" in live sand to cause a cycle. It's kinda like a starter culture of bacteria. You're lucky you have a spare 70g to use. I had two 20 longs and two 45g Brutes plumbed together during my move. Best of luck, and keep us updated. Pics of the temp setup and the build are always appreciated.