PDA

View Full Version : Chip in glass, should I use it?

Aslmx
03/28/2013, 06:50 PM
Got a used tank last week and while cleaning it I found a chip in the side panel. Its not close to the inside but its almost dead center of the panel. Should I use the tank? 210 gallon. 5/8" glass...suggestions please .
http://i46.*******.com/i6m6o0.jpg
http://i48.*******.com/2mwz5s6.jpg

DLANDINO
03/28/2013, 07:41 PM
Personally I wouldn't use it.

betamed
03/28/2013, 07:56 PM
Would not bother me all that much.

marty9876
03/28/2013, 08:09 PM
fill it in the garage and see what happens, let sit for a week full. my 180g has a chip on the end, no issues

Aslmx
03/28/2013, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know if oceanic is still in business? I googled it but getting some weird sites. I want to contact them plus I think I might have one of those windsheild repair guys look at it. Im going to keep on with my build plans but this little booger will always be in my mind

Aslmx
03/28/2013, 08:26 PM
fill it in the garage and see what happens, let sit for a week full. my 180g has a chip on the end, no issues

I was going to fill it, put a heater and pump in it and let it set for a few weeks. Do you have a pic of your chip?

pool guy
03/28/2013, 10:58 PM
I have some chips in the front of mine (I believe it is 1/2" glass). They look kinda like yours. I filled it and water tested it, and it worked for me. It has been up and running for 7 months now with no issues.

I'll try and get you a few pics for you tomorrow.

I'm not saying you should, but like you said, fill it in the garage and let it sit for a bit to see what happens.

Aslmx
03/29/2013, 02:53 PM
I have some chips in the front of mine (I believe it is 1/2" glass). They look kinda like yours. I filled it and water tested it, and it worked for me. It has been up and running for 7 months now with no issues.

I'll try and get you a few pics for you tomorrow.

I'm not saying you should, but like you said, fill it in the garage and let it sit for a bit to see what happens.
what size is your tank and how big are the chips

Aslmx
03/29/2013, 03:28 PM
Just talked to a glass guy and he said that he has some stuff that he can put in the chip that will hold if the glass got compromised......exxxxhallllleeee.

pool guy
03/29/2013, 05:30 PM
PM me what he can use, cause everone I talked to said there is nothing you can use UNLESS the glass is tempered..... which mine is not. So if there is somthing, I'd like to know.

Thanks

Aslmx
03/29/2013, 07:58 PM
PM me what he can use, cause everone I talked to said there is nothing you can use UNLESS the glass is tempered..... which mine is not. So if there is somthing, I'd like to know.

Thanks
i ll let you know. hes coming back tomorrow. He told me it was fine the way it is but I dont trust his 35 years expeirence so hes going to glue it and then hes going to drill my holes when my two week stress test is done.