PDA

View Full Version : Help! What is this white stuff getting my coral

stevenhendon
03/28/2013, 07:09 PM
I have a 220g reef setup with 50 gallon sump full of live rock, and a sump. I have 3 tangs, 7 damsels, a wrasse (reef safe) and a couple clowns. It seemed like it just popped up over the course of 2 days (although I could have just missed it.) It is white and kind of looks marshmallowy if that makes since. It is mostly covering live rock but it looks like it is starting to get on the coral. Please help. Thanks.

You can see a picture here:

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Steven_Hendon/media/IMG_0907_zps5455f2a1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Sk8r
03/28/2013, 07:30 PM
your 2nd picture looks a lot like an anemone. You may be undergoing a bloom of some creature that's found your tank full of what it likes. Just be patient and when it's eating it all, it'll probably diminish. Pep shrimp might eat it. Meanwhile see if you can get a clearer picture. Does it have tentacles and a mouth?

stevenhendon
03/29/2013, 05:57 AM
Sorry. I know the second pic is anemone which doesn't concern me. The shrimp are dealing with the pretty well. It is really the first pic that is crap. I just cant get the camera to focus on it. I will try to get a better pic.

stevenhendon
03/29/2013, 06:23 AM
Here is a link with multiple pictures. Some are more clear than others. Sorry, my camera work stinks.

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Steven_Hendon/library/?page=1

DNA
03/30/2013, 03:05 AM
Some kind of a sponge would be my guess.
Having it on top of the rocks is odd though, unless your tank is poorly lit.

amutti
03/30/2013, 05:33 AM
I can't really tell from the pictures, but I've had two "white stuff" problems, both in my old seahorse tank, and both due to high nutrients and bad light (old bulbs). One was long algae-like white/gray fillements that would grow like hair algae but break apart into a powder with a little abrasion. The other was a soft white sponge that would eventually snuff out nearby corals. Both required me to physically remove it and tackle the nutrients. The good news is that it was a slow problem, not an emergency.