PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae Outbreak?

Andyf30
03/28/2013, 09:52 PM
So my skimmer went down a week ago, and I went on vacation for 5 days. I had someone watch over the tank, and everything looks fine, except that now I'm having a minor hair algae out break in the tank. Any way to get rid of this stuff quickly? I need to get a new skimmer ASAP for starters, I think the nitrate/trite rise is to blame now that the skimmer went out of commission. I have GFO in the tank, so I don't think phosphates are the issue. Any idea if my assumption is right about the skimmer going down being to blame for the HA out break? Any way I can try and reduce while I wait for a new skimmer or new pump for my existing skimmer? Also, if need be, any suggestions for a new skimmer as far as brands go?

jube66
03/29/2013, 01:22 AM
I would do a large water change of 40% or so to start with. I take it you are using RO/DI water? Also, make sure and check tds is havnt already. I had a decent algae bloom a couple months ago and my R/O membrane needed changed. As for the skimmer being out... it definitely may be contributing. But IMO, if you have a decent amount of live rock with good flow and bio-filtration along with a pretty clean tank... then you shouldnt see a huge algae outbreak. How long has the tank been set up? Any substrate or bare bottom? If the tank has been setup for less than say... 6 months or less and you have a sandbed then I would say the skimmer is solely to blame. IME newly setup tanks and setups with substrate are very reliant on the skimmer. Whereas more established tanks and cleaner tanks (no substrate, low bioload, and very minimal areas for waste to accumulate) can get by with less emphasis on skimming. If it were me, I would do sizable regular water changes along with very maticulous cleaning of tank and filter media until you get a new skimmer. That should keep the hair algae from taking over!

Andyf30
03/29/2013, 08:50 AM
2-3" sand bed, but the tank has been up for around 8 months. I've checked tds recently and its still 0 in my ro/di. The tank sitter (someone who works at an aquarium maintenance shop) did a 30% water change on Monday. This is starting to upset me, but the outbreak isn't terrible. I may be able to kill it the same way I killed my cyano outbreak. Few days of darkness and throw in my phosphate reactor. Also are there any inverts that eat hair algae? I was thinking blue tuxedo urchin, it would just be a pain to deal with it knocking over frags all the time.

Andyf30
03/29/2013, 11:38 AM
Any one else have any ideas?