PDA

View Full Version : what type of salt do you use?

elmattador
03/28/2013, 10:05 PM
i was wondering what kind of salt everyone uses and if they had any kinds they'd totally avoid. i currently use RC by instant ocean.

MellowReefer
03/28/2013, 10:49 PM
Many people on this forum think there's not a significant difference in brands. Some are higher in alk and calcium but that just means you might need to dose these a little less, but you still need to dose anyway if you keep corals. I was using RC for over a year, but recently switched to seachem because it was on sale. My corals are actually looking better since I switched. BUT, it could be some other factor, for example I recently started feeding them consistently every weekend whereas before randomly twice a month. So if you do switch make sure you don't do anything else different!

elmattador
03/28/2013, 10:57 PM
i was actually just looking into the seachem salt. i already use the seachem fuel for a little boost in some minerals due to mine testing very low lately for some reason, if i switched id probably stop using that for a while but still target feed my few corals that need it.

SKAREEF
03/28/2013, 11:23 PM
I use Red Sea, Coral Pro. I seem to get a better( color) and polyp reaction on my SPS. I Have used in past. Instant ocean, tropic, sea chem.... I will say that the Red sea seems to mix the best. But I think it really just depends on your coral needs.

This is not updated but give a good idea of some of the difference in salt...

barry_keith
03/28/2013, 11:25 PM
Mellow said it.

I buy the best deal, or whatever's on sale when I need salt. I'm using seachems reef salt right now too.

jube66
03/29/2013, 12:39 AM
I have always had good luck with reef crystals? What was the reason you were looking to switch?

elmattador
03/29/2013, 12:40 AM
alright i ordered a 200 gal box of the sea chem. i'll see how my corals and such like it.