PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy tank from Ca supplementation?

lcs
03/29/2013, 07:47 AM
My tank water has been cloudy since yesterday. The tank has been set up for 3.5 years and is a 56g with a 20g sump with a filter sock, carbon, and skimmer.

temp 80
SG 1.026 (refractometer)
pH 8.0 (API)
alk 8.9 (Salifert)
Ca 420 (Salifert)
Mg 1500 (at upper limit of test - Red Sea and Salifert)

My alk has been between 8 and 9 consistently while my Ca had dipped below 400 so, starting this past week I started dosing with Ca using Seachem Reef Calcium. I was trying to be slow, only adding 6 capfuls per day, but I did miss one day. I noticed that the skimmate is lighter and, obviously, cloudy as well.

Last night I changed my filter sock and carbon, but it was still cloudy this morning.

I know it's not much, but any thoughts?

username in use
03/29/2013, 07:51 AM
You say your Ca dipped below 400, but you gave a reading of 420. Is that after the dosing, while the tank was cloudy, before it dropped?

Well I just checked their site and they are recommending 1 capful per 20g twice a week. So you should only be adding 3-4 capfuls twice a week, not every day, and not 6 caps.

Were you testing while you were dosing every day? It sounds like you raised it too far.

I would do a large water change, let it all settle out for a couple days, test it, and then decide where to go from there.

lcs
03/29/2013, 07:56 AM
That was a quick response! Thanks!

The 420ppm Ca is from testing just last night, but you're right about the dosing. Would going from around 350 to 420 in five days be too fast or has my tank already answered that question for me? :facepalm: I guess I didn't read the bottle carefully enough! D'oh!

The tank's due for a big water change this weekend anyway, I'll just be sure to do extra.

username in use
03/29/2013, 08:16 AM
I think your tank answered your question :lol: Everything good takes time.

lcs
03/29/2013, 08:34 AM
Everything good takes time.Aaah! Truer words were never spoken.

Thanks again for your help. I guess it's time to go back to work now.

username in use
03/29/2013, 08:38 AM
I guess it's time to go back to work now.

well that's a silly thing to say. You still need to spend an hour or two in the lounge first.