PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading. need a little help

JeffSauer
03/29/2013, 07:57 AM
I've had a 65 gallon for a little over a year, and my wife and I will be moving in a couple of months. So I was considering just doing a tank swap from our house now to the new one during the move so I don’t have to break down my existing tank and set it up again and then break it down again in a couple of months after I get everything

I will be going from a 65 gallon reef with the following:
-2x Vortech mp10es
-t5 lighting
-trigger systems refugium (crystal 36)
-reef octopus 150 skimmer
-150 lbs live rock
-100 lbs live sand
-mag 7 return
+ live stock

The gentleman that owns my LFS only runs a skimmer and biopellet reactor in all of his tanks. He says that once a tank is up and running and you have a good skimmer, there’s really no need for any of that extra stuff, and that everything will take care of its-self. I would have concern to question this but his display tanks are some of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. Consisting of a 450 in the back of the store and a 300 in the front of the store right when you first walk in. All of his corals are healthy and his fish are fat and seem to be happy.

This is where my question comes into play: Can I get away with doing the same? I know keeping a refigium isn’t much work but it would be one less thing I would have to worry about.

So this is what I was thinking of switching to:

- 190 gallon reef tank (60x27x27) w/ stand & no canopy:
- 2x Vortech mp40es w/ battery backups
- 4x Radion (Gen 2)
- Bubble King Supermarin 250 internal Protein Skimmer
- Reef octopus BR-1000ss Biopellet Reactor
- APEX with following
Lab grade pH probe
Lab grade ORP probe
Wireless expansion module
PM2 Conductivity module
- external pump (don’t know which one would be best for my tank yet
- transferring 150 lbs live rock + buying some tonga from a guy that cures it where I live
- 160 lbs live sand (=260 total) might make it 300

Would anyone know what sump would fit both the Bubble King Supermarin 250 internal Protein Skimmer & Reef octopus BR-1000ss Biopellet Reactor?

dml931
03/29/2013, 10:53 PM
im sure your 65g tank would.:smokin:

Terrance
03/29/2013, 11:11 PM
What works for someone else might not work for you.

A good skimmer can do a lot of good things, but I would rely on it to solely run a reef tank with a biopellet reactor. Growing macroalgae is the other thing that will really help nutrient export and delay water changes. Many hobbyist on this forum will say macroalgae and/or water change is very important. You can try it at your own risk.

A nice DIY sump will fit both your skimmer and reactor.

kenny4128
03/30/2013, 01:02 AM
I do not run a fuge either, all I have is bio pellets, a skimmer, and a GFO reactor. I use a eshopps 300 and it all fits great. The foot print of your equipment is similar to mine. my $.02

JeffSauer
03/30/2013, 08:04 PM
im sure your 65g tank would.:smokin:

haha

dml931
04/02/2013, 03:30 PM
haha

:beer:

JeffSauer
04/02/2013, 03:38 PM
What works for someone else might not work for you.

A good skimmer can do a lot of good things, but I would rely on it to solely run a reef tank with a biopellet reactor. Growing macroalgae is the other thing that will really help nutrient export and delay water changes. Many hobbyist on this forum will say macroalgae and/or water change is very important. You can try it at your own risk.

A nice DIY sump will fit both your skimmer and reactor.

yeah, i'm kinda leaning towards just making my own sump if i cant find an acrylic sump that fits all my criteria. Cause after what i'm gonna spend on the rest of the equipment, i'm not gonna make any concessions on sump. If i need to call trigger and order a custom sump i might need to do that.

thegrun
04/02/2013, 06:37 PM
Acrylic is very easy to work with if you have done any woodworking in the past. I custom make all my own sumps now, no more comprising dimensions to fit standard tank sizes. I have had to remake or rework a few of mine over the years as I've switched equipment but that is another story.