PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Rock Curing Tank Went Over 100F!!!!

MiracleFish
03/29/2013, 08:49 AM
Last night I hooked up a new heater to the curing tank and didn't check the temperature, so it went over 100F! I did basically a 50% water change along with moving the tank in front of an open door to cool it down. Last check chemistry, the Nitrites were at 1ppm and Nitrates were at maybe 40ppm( before this occurred ), So as you can see my cycle was almost over... I see a bunch of bristle worms were cooked to death, but I'm more so worried about the coraline algae, can it survive those kinds of temperature???

After the water changes, the water isn't so polluted, just a bit cloudy, so now I'm waiting for that to clear up.. is there anything else I should be doing? I have an air pump with 2 hoses pumping oxygen into the tank, and a powerhead circulating.

MiracleFish
03/29/2013, 09:40 AM
I just did a water test

Nitrites are non existent,

no Ammonia 0.0

and my Nitrates are sky high to about 70ppm

djp2313
03/29/2013, 09:46 AM
A fan will cool it down really quickly - watch the salinity though as it exploit evaporation to cool it.

MiracleFish
03/29/2013, 09:54 AM
A fan will cool it down really quickly - watch the salinity though as it exploit evaporation to cool it.

I cooled it down to 75, and turned back on the heater at a lower setting, so temperature is pretty good at the moment. I did another water change so all together this morning I would say i did about a 90% water change using mainly my display tank water. Water is still cloudy, which will take some time to settle down.

djp2313
03/29/2013, 10:38 AM
I would be concerned with a lot of die-off in the rock (especially if you noted bristelworm death)being too much for the current bacteria population to handle which may throw you into the beginning of another cycle. I'd keep my eye on it for a little while.

Not sure if the coralline will make it or not. Hopefully somoene else can get that one.

gone fishin
03/29/2013, 03:10 PM
It doesn't sound like you have any livestock in there. If so just let nature take its course. The coraline will come back in time.

MiracleFish
03/29/2013, 09:46 PM
It doesn't sound like you have any livestock in there. If so just let nature take its course. The coraline will come back in time.

Well when I first got the rock, there really wasn't much stuff on it. Two tunicates were basically dried up because of the 2-3 shipping gulf rock did, and some things were just out of water for too long to survive. I also plucked out a good amount of bristle worms my first week so I didn't have to deal with them all over the display when I put the rocks in. So really all I was looking for was the color on these rocks, and I must say the color is great! However the longer I keep it in this bad lighting, the more the color is going to fade.. That's why I'm a little nervous if this problem has affected my cycle in anyway. I came home maybe about 8 hours after I did my last water change and the water still is cloudy yet clean.. It's starting to worry me that I'll be going through another cycle, even though a couple of hours ago my chemistry was In order.

gone fishin
03/30/2013, 08:56 AM
It kind of sounds like you may experience a mini cycle. But what is done is done as they say. Now it is just a waiting game.

That is why controllers are so nice. If a heater goes haywire or if I do something boneheaded with a heater the controller will shut it off. just a thought.

MiracleFish
03/30/2013, 08:42 PM
It kind of sounds like you may experience a mini cycle. But what is done is done as they say. Now it is just a waiting game.

That is why controllers are so nice. If a heater goes haywire or if I do something boneheaded with a heater the controller will shut it off. just a thought.

That would be great if I had that kind of money for one, but at the moment I'm still wishing. However, I tested my water again today.. Nitrites are extremely high again, nitrates are in the middle, and still no ammonia. So once again I'm going through another cycle..

gone fishin
03/30/2013, 08:52 PM
Hopefully it will move along a little quicker this time around. I would probably wait until the nitrites have passed before doing another WC

I know what your saying about the money. I try to pick a couple big ticket items a year and save up for them. Seems to never fail once I got the money set aside car breaks down or something needs fixed on the house. LOL

OrQidz
03/30/2013, 09:27 PM
well, better now than once you have livestock in there right? Hopefully the cycle will be quick and you will have the advantage of knowing when it's done that it's really well cycled and has processed all that ammonia.

MiracleFish
03/30/2013, 10:33 PM
Hopefully it will move along a little quicker this time around. I would probably wait until the nitrites have passed before doing another WC

I know what your saying about the money. I try to pick a couple big ticket items a year and save up for them. Seems to never fail once I got the money set aside car breaks down or something needs fixed on the house. LOL

I would have thought more frequent water changes gets rid of nitrites? Should I be slowing down the water changes for a week?

gone fishin
03/31/2013, 06:24 AM
My thoughts are if you are cycling again you will want to reestablish your bacteria. If the bacteria are there then the nitrites should pass fairly quickly to nitrates. Then I would due a water change when I only have nitrates.

A fully cycled tank should be able to take 3-4ppm of ammonia and be nitratres within 24 hours.

Unome
03/31/2013, 05:37 PM

I know what your saying about the money. I try to pick a couple big ticket items a year and save up for them. Seems to never fail once I got the money set aside car breaks down or something needs fixed on the house. LOLI call that "Life: It's What Happens When You're Making Other Plans".