PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on "Glass Chip" on my new tank...

higorc
03/29/2013, 09:17 AM
Just got my new upgrade tank from Cadlights yesterday. I have contacted them already and waiting for their response, but I would like to get opinions on this. It doesn't seem like it would affect the tank beyond cosmetics, but better safe than sorry...

Tank is a 120G 48x30x20 - 1/2" starfire glass

This one is a little smaller than a dime and I can't feel it on either side of the glass...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/chipside_zps2d942511.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/sidechipfar_zps16d90235.jpg

This one is on the bottom left. Same size. I can feel it on the top, but not on the other side of the glass.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/chipbottom_zps9b2b19e2.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/bottomchipfar_zpsa2984812.jpg

Does anyone know of a way to verify that the tank still structural sound? Both chips are on the edge of the glass panels. There doesn’t seem to be any "running/hair lines. It's like a flat 1mm thick 1/4" piece of glass got scooped up... I am guessing during shipping .

Thanks
Higor

sirreal63
03/29/2013, 09:32 AM
With a brand new tank I would get it replaced, you didn't buy a chipped tank there is no reason to accept a chipped tank. While it may be ok, what if it isn't? If it busts out two years from now will CadLights do anything to help, will they replace the tank and cover any physical damage to the home? Would it be worth it to gamble?

Have them replace the tank, you will sleep better.

TruReef
03/29/2013, 09:41 AM
With a brand new tank I would get it replaced, you didn't buy a chipped tank there is no reason to accept a chipped tank. While it may be ok, what if it isn't? If it busts out two years from now will CadLights do anything to help, will they replace the tank and cover any physical damage to the home? Would it be worth it to gamble?

Have them replace the tank, you will sleep better.

I agree....

Pastey
03/29/2013, 09:52 AM
No way that's worth the risk.

higorc
03/29/2013, 10:07 AM
That's what I was afraid of hearing...but better safe than sorry I guess...

You have no idea how much this hurts people... It feels like breaking up with a girlfriend or something. I waited so long for this!!!

higorc
03/29/2013, 12:05 PM
Just got a response from them...

..." during tank use especially for reefs, rocks can chip the edges, but thats totally safe as long as it is a surface chip. if the chip hasnt come back out and stays in there, it can spread. but the round shape of it is totally safe to use and your tank is fully warrantied.

We have been building aquariums for over 25 years and never had a crack come from a surface chip before. the ones that do cause a problem are if they are straight and deeper than 20% of the thickness of the glass."

:hmm4: They are offering me a partial refund. Not sure I want to go that route... I need some time to think about it and do a little more research on this.

sirreal63
03/29/2013, 12:13 PM
That response speaks volumes about their tanks and company ethics. It is completely unacceptable to expect a customer to be ok with a chipped tank and not stand behing their product. If this is how they handle it now, when it is fresh, how will they handle it a year down the road? I am probably harder than you but I would get all of my money back and find a different tank. If you bought a new car and went to pick it up and found a couple of dents, would you be ok with the dealer saying it isn't a problem and offer you a partial refund?

I would get a new tank shipped from them or a complete refund, you bought this tank in good faith, they are not returning that good faith.

Pastey
03/29/2013, 12:19 PM
Ask them if they will pay for any damages stemming from a tank that fails (flooring, livestock, equipment, damage, subsequent damage to home, etc). They will not, and you will have your answer as to whether or not you should use that tank. It may not be fun to wait for a new tank but it'll be a lot LESS fun having to clean up the mess and replace everything that gets ruined.

aandfsoccr04
03/29/2013, 03:52 PM
I agree with these folks and would definitely not set that tank up if I bought it brand new and it came with a chip. 120 gallons of water on your floor and thousands of dollars of dead livestock is not worth it in my opinion. Money back or a new tank would be the only options.

vitodog
03/29/2013, 04:13 PM
What everyone else said. No way would I accept a new tank with chips in the glass. You want a new tank or full refund. Just FYI, if those dimensions are correct, that is not a 120 gal. tank. That tank is approximately 125 (124.7 gal).

geaux xman
03/29/2013, 04:17 PM
the 3rd pic is inside the tank?

how was the tank boxed?

wipe
03/29/2013, 04:17 PM
OK scratch them from my new tank manufacturer list. That's the bs.

higorc
03/29/2013, 05:20 PM
Well guys, thanks for all the input on this. I'm still not 100% sure what I will do.

After a lot of back and forth with Cadlights, they have at least done their part. They have offered me 60% refund or built me another tank. I am trying to take every part of this experience into consideration.

They have said repeatedly that there is no "structural" damage to the tank, and that their warranty still stands due to the fact these are shallow chips at the end of the glass panels and because they have never seen a tank fail due to it.

Everyone's opinion hasn't gone unheard. I even stopped at a glass shop and explained to them the issue at hand. Even though they couldn't say for sure that it has compromised the tank’s integrity, they said this kind of damage is unlikely to crack a whole ½” glass panel even in a tank.

I will do more research on this and make an educated decision with all the facts about this kind of problem/situation. If I do decide to keep the tank, I will be ready to live with any consequences thereafter.

Thanks everyone
Higor

higorc
04/03/2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks everybody for all your opinions and suggestions. I spent the last 4 days reading everything I could find on "clam shell" glass chips in aquariums/tanks on line and couldn't find one documented "tank failure" due to it.

I found lots of threads on the issue and a pretty much everyone says the same thing, "I wouldn't trust it"... Found some people stating that these "Clam Shell" shaped chips don't pose any threat or structural issues to the glass panel and they either had or knew people with these kinds of chips on their tanks for years with no issues. Everyone agrees that the chips do in some way weaken the glass (obviously), but it would be unlikely to cause a “catastrophic tank failure”.

If I had no options available to get a replacement, I would keep the tank. After all the reading I did on these kind of chips, I feel comfortable enough it wouldn’t be an issue. But since I do, I have decided to have Cadlights build me another one. This means another month or so of waiting(sigh)…but I guess I will survive.

I have to say that these past few days have been really stressful with the damaged tank and coming to this decision (it wasn’t easy at all!). Scott at Cadlights has been very understanding/accommodating of this “not so pleasant experience”.

At least this will give me time to finish some last minute details for this upgrade that I am still working on.

Thanks
Higor

Ron Reefman
04/03/2013, 07:23 AM
I think you've made the smart decision. I'm not one to see a small chip and cry wolf. I had a 75g tank with a chip that went 1/2 way into the glass at one end. I used it for 5 years and the new owner has used it for 3 more. But your's is a new tank. It would be like a car manufacturer saying, sorry about the dents in the car, but we've never seen anybody have an accident due to the dents! I've never heard of Cadlights, but I have them on my 'never buy from' list now. I guess quality manufacturing and real customer service are going away.

higorc
04/03/2013, 07:32 AM
I think you've made the smart decision. I'm not one to see a small chip and cry wolf. I had a 75g tank with a chip that went 1/2 way into the glass at one end. I used it for 5 years and the new owner has used it for 3 more. But your's is a new tank. It would be like a car manufacturer saying, sorry about the dents in the car, but we've never seen anybody have an accident due to the dents! I've never heard of Cadlights, but I have them on my 'never buy from' list now. I guess quality manufacturing and real customer service are going away.

Well, I don't believe it left their shops like this. I am sure it happened during shipping.

I feel like they have done their part buy offering me a new tank. Can't blame them for trying to have me keep the tank and give me a partial refund. All I asked them in the beginning was it it was "safe". But after I put my foot down and said I wasn't keeping it, they didn't fight too much after that.

Scott at Cadlights has been really helpfull through out all of this. Besides the chips, the tank looks very well made.

Hopefuly the new tank will come with out any defects, but I have to say I am very nervous after going through this...

Higor

EllieSuz
04/03/2013, 07:39 AM
We've talked about the financial issues if a tank bursts, but we haven't talked about the emotional ones. Even if the manufacturer was willing to reimburse you for your ruined floors, etc., how would they fix the emotional devastation you'd experience when your carefully tended livestock dies because everything broke while you were at work? Not all of us get attached to their fish, but I do and I'd be brokenhearted if I killed them all. Something to think about?

NaH2Ofreak
04/03/2013, 08:02 AM
Well, if nothing else, you can build yourself a frag tank with it after the shipping company comes and takes a picture of it. Happened to me THREE TIMES with CadLights. Their tanks are nice....if they can get them to you in one piece. Don't be surprised if it takes them more than a few times. Just sayin'.

Dennis

higorc
04/03/2013, 08:21 AM
Well, if nothing else, you can build yourself a frag tank with it after the shipping company comes and takes a picture of it. Happened to me THREE TIMES with CadLights. Their tanks are nice....if they can get them to you in one piece. Don't be surprised if it takes them more than a few times. Just sayin'.

Dennis

Oh man...don't say that! I just felt like someone kicked me in the peanuts now:sad1:

The tank I have from them now is really well made. I would be in LOVE with it if it wasn't for those God Jesus chips.

I just hope to God the next one arrives in one piece. This last one was really well packaged. After I took it down from the crate and off the truck it took me almost 10 minutes to unwrap the tank and stand...

This time I won't even take it from the FedEx truck. I'm gonna break the crate, unwrap the whole thing and check every inch of it before I unload it... If there is anything wrong with it, I think I might just start crying or take it out on the FedEx guy! :hammer: And then just tell him to take the tank back...

NaH2Ofreak
04/03/2013, 07:26 PM
Yes, I agree, it is EXTREMELY disappointing. It took them 3 tries to get a 40gal tank to me out here in Oregon. The first one was broke and I didn't find out until I unwrapped it. The second one had a big hole in the side of the box from a fork lift tong. The third one I had to have shipped overnight via fed x in order to get it here in one piece. The guy there...can't remember his name for some reason...split the overnight shipping with me. still cost me like $160 extra. In hindsight...I should have just cancelled the order. But, like yourself, I fell in love with the tank. It looked good...when it was in one piece.

Dennis

higorc
04/03/2013, 07:52 PM
Man, I really hope this tank arrives in one piece.. I don't know if I can take anymore of this! I will keep this thread updated as to what happens when I get the new tank...I hope "Second time is the Charm" this time!!!

Higor

kenghmoob
04/03/2013, 10:16 PM
Before off loading the tank, carefully inspect your new package. Do not sign anything and if it is in any way shape or form broken, reject the delivery. Have CadLights file a claim and in the end, the shipping company will have to pay for their negligence. I don't know why CadLights was giving you such a hard time only offering you a 60% refund when they would have gotten 100% from Fed Ex via insurance. This must be their tactic to make you buy from them and not take your business elsewhere. You paid for a brand new tank and you should get a brand new tank.