PDA

View Full Version : Mojano wand success long term?

vick
03/29/2013, 09:53 AM
I was thinking of purchasing a mojano wand to eliminate mojano anemones and some red muchrooms that are killing some of my lps. Can anyone vouch for this mojano wand? I'm worried by trying to kill the anemones, they will make release their planula and I'll make the problem worse. I've tried aiptasia x for the last 2 years, but the mojanoes always come back.

albano
03/29/2013, 10:17 AM
I was thinking of purchasing a mojano wand to eliminate mojano anemones and some red muchrooms that are killing some of my lps. Can anyone vouch for this mojano wand? I'm worried by trying to kill the anemones, they will make release their planula and I'll make the problem worse. I've tried aiptasia x for the last 2 years, but the mojanoes always come back.

Not sure about mushrooms, but the aiptasia/ majanos will be back! It's near impossible to 'burn out' the majanos completely...it's actually less work to inject them, then trying to 'burn' them...day after day after.....

If at all possible try to borrow one to try, before purchasing!

vick
03/29/2013, 11:27 AM
Problem with the aiptasia x is it falls off any mojanos that are on the side of rocks. It only seems to work on the ones facing up.

albano
03/29/2013, 11:46 AM
Well, IMO...the odds of you eliminating any majanos that are 'on the side' of a rock, with the 'wand' is basically...Zero!

vick
03/29/2013, 01:20 PM
Well, IMO...the odds of you eliminating any majanos that are 'on the side' of a rock, with the 'wand' is basically...Zero!

Why wouldn't it work if the mojano is on the side of the rock?

albano
03/29/2013, 01:45 PM
You have to be able to get to every single living cell to kill it, if you can't fully access it, it will come right back... The wand can not reach around corners, or under the rocks... that's why I think that you need to borrow a wand first!

D-Nak
03/30/2013, 10:56 AM
I thought about picking one up for the fun factor alone. I've been using a combination of approaches to get rid of my aips and mojanos --peppermint shrimp, kalk paste, and berghia. If I had an extra hundred bucks I'd add the wand too.

Pederreefnerd
03/30/2013, 11:19 AM
I just ordered one today - because, my reef is so deep I cant reach the pestanemone with pipette and acid - so I reallyhope this will help.

Palting
03/30/2013, 01:46 PM
I have one, have had it for about 18 months. I've used it to kill mojano, aptasia, ugly mushrooms. If you can get to it with the wand, it will kill it. And you can actually reach a lot of places with it. Will it eradicate it so it never comes back? No, but it will kill off anything you can see.

phenom5
03/30/2013, 02:58 PM
I've been using one to get rid of mushrooms in my tank. It works, but it takes some persistence. It can be a bit of a challenge to get at them, but I've definitely made progress.

Ron Reefman
04/03/2013, 06:13 AM
To vick (the OP): I use one and I don't have issues with the spread of pests due to the ones I'm killing. If you do it right they are dead and gone. The ones you can't get good access to will come back, but I don't have any issue with them spreading. My problem is, I can't get to all of them and the ones I can't get do continue to spread.

I have issues with aiptasia and majano, and I'm going to continue to have issues for some time as I can't get to all of them. I can't do peppermint shrimp as my banded coral shrimp eat them within a day or two. And I can't do berghia as I have two wrasses that will just make an expensive lunch of them. And my rock wall is way too big and too covered with sps and lps corals to even think about pulling it apart to get at the hard ones.

So I use a new Majano Wand (not the old aiptazer which was junk) and I use a 1.4w laser and I use Aiptasia-X. I don't know where albano gets his info about the Majano Wand, but if you use it right and have good access to the anemone, you can totally destroy them and they don't grow back.

It's the ones you can't get good access to that are the problem. They pull back into their hole and the wand is so long that you can't get it into the tank and turn it the direction you want/need to follow the anemone into the hole. They need to make one with a short (3"-4" handle) so you can get it in the tank and twist and turn with it so you can go after a higher percentage of them. I really don't mind getting my hand and arm wet if I can kill an aiptasia or a majano.

The laser has the same problem but with different angles. So between the two of them, I've been doing pretty well at keeping the little buggers in check. That leaves some that I can get at with the Aiptasia-X and it works OK as well. It's messy, you can only go after so many before you start to foul your tank's chemistry and it has access and anemone size issues as well.

If I was going to pick just one method to go after pest anemones my first choice is the Majano Wand if the $100 price tag doesn't scare you off. Second is the Aiptasia-X (or other chemical treatments) as they are fairly effective and reasonably cheap (if you only need a small amount). And the last is the laser. It works OK but it's really an advantage to go BIG. I have a 1.4w but it's not as strong as I would like and cost $175. I've been looking at a 3.0w (which are hard to find) but they cost way more!

mfinn
04/03/2013, 08:08 AM
I've used the Majano Wand in my tanks for about a year and a half.
IMO not a long term solution.
What I did find that has worked the longest was a matted file fish.
I put one in my 240 softy tank that had hundreds in it. It took a month or so before I noticed and improvement and within approx 3-4 months the file fish wiped out all aptasias and majanos. I left the fish in the tank for another few months before I moved it to my 50, that had a few majanos in and he did the same there.
I won't say they are a permanent solution because after moving the fish out of my 240 about 8 months ago, I found a single aptasia and a single majano, which I removed by taking the rock out they were on.

Jstdv8
04/03/2013, 12:11 PM
can someown who owns one tell me what the tip is made out of?
I made my own and it works great but the tip is made of a piece of paint can handle and i think its zinc or galvanized.
I was killing pests with it the first time i used it and the next day alot of my corals didn't look very good.
I'm afraid the metal is leaching into the water somehow so i discontinued use.
Thanks,