PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rock from old build and odd cycle #'s on new build

Essense
03/29/2013, 10:11 AM
I'm starting a new 24g tank with live rock from an old system that was stored damp in a Rubbermaid container that had a lid on since the day the live rock was put in. The container didnt have salt water in it, but i put the LR in very wet. The rock was still damp when I took it out 7 months after storing it. After taking the rock out I gave it a thorough wash with a hose, let it sit out in sun for half a day and then put it in a brute with vigorous water movement and aeration. I expected to have it in the brute for 8+ weeks.

About a week in I got curious and did some testing. Amonia was 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 160. SG 35ppt, ph 8.2. I was surprised to see the nitrate level. I did a 100% water change at the same time as transferring the rock to the 24g nano. At this time, 10 days ago, i started adding a pinch of fish food each morning. As of this morning my levels are amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, SG 35ppt, ph 8.2.

Could the brute have contributed to the nitrate spike? Is a pinch of fish food something that means I'm cycled given the levels are remaining zeroed? I was looking for rising nitrates as confirmation of bacteria growths. I've got a 6.5oz bag of chempure elite it the filtration area along with filter floss.