PDA

View Full Version : What to feed while in vacation

Dfwnoob
03/29/2013, 11:07 AM
Ill be going out of town for 4 days . Wondering what would be best way to feed my two clowns ?

MrTuskfish
03/29/2013, 11:14 AM
There as no reason to take a chance with someone else; thr=ey all overfeed. There is no reason to bother with anything, 2 clowns can easily go 4 days without being fed.

Sk8r
03/29/2013, 11:41 AM
Feed when you leave, feed when you get home.

Dfwnoob
03/29/2013, 11:42 AM
So four days should be bad or making them starve

MrTuskfish
03/29/2013, 12:34 PM
So four days should be bad or making them starve

Not even close. Almost all fish go much longer than 4 days without food after capture. There have been lots of disasters when Uncle Bob and his kids came to feed the fishies and the kids liked watching the fish eat so much that they emptied the food container into the tank.

rezaktp
03/29/2013, 12:39 PM
+1 unless there is a local refer that can come by they will be fine!

Fish Biscuit
03/29/2013, 12:43 PM
4 days if fine for them to go without food. Fish go at least 3 to 4 days without food during shipping from overseas if you account for the time they are packed up at the supplier & then dropped at the airline. They will find pods and things to eat in the tank.

nynick
03/29/2013, 12:57 PM
They can go for weeks without food, not that I would recommend that, without being harmed in any other way than getting very hungry. We need to eat constantly to keep our bodys warm, fish don't. Many fish starve for months with no ill effects while taking care of babies.

4 days is not a problem.

thegrun
03/29/2013, 01:13 PM
On the other hand why stave them, pick up an Eheim auto-feeder. They are easy to set up and work great. I built an acrylic holder with a feed tube that extends down below the waterline so the food that floats doesn't get sucked into the overflow, the flake food floats until saturated and then sinks. At least that is the theory, in reality the fish figure out there is floating food inside the feeder tube and they swim up inside of it to grab the food. The great by-product of this is if you ever need to catch a fish, they are easy to net when they swim into the feeder.
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/Aquarium%20Equipment/AutoFeeder002.jpg

nynick
03/29/2013, 01:28 PM
....and if you do go with the auto feeder idea, don't get a cheap one!!! (!!!!!!!) and don't put more food in it than will be used in a few days.

If you want to know why, go to any random aquarium forum and search for "auto feeder". Cheap brands are notorious for malfunctioning and killing off entire tanks in a couple of days by dumping a cup of fishfood into the tank in 2 min.