PDA

View Full Version : cyanobacteria

mouseishouse
03/29/2013, 01:11 PM
i have had my tank up for 5 and a half years i have an 7 stagr ro system with 0 ppm i have a protein skimmer a refugium with chetomorpha and caulerpa and i also have a bio pellet reactor i have a 75 gallon i have had red algea for a long time and i can not get rid of it i do 15 gallon water changes and its gone for 1 day and comes back its killing my corals its also like a brown color to and my sand has a gold color as well my nitrates and phosphates and everything else is low idk what to do HELPPPP

MrClam
03/29/2013, 01:37 PM
I had some cyano in my tank recently. I ran some GFO and scraped some of it off and ran lights out for about 3 days and it helped significantly. I have also noticed that it only grows in areas with low flow so if a specific area is problematic you could try increasing the flow. But my tank is also young so your results may vary. Hopefully someone with an established tank can offer advice.

robertjk7005
03/29/2013, 02:34 PM
just had a bad case of cyano myself and i did a big water change(between 30-40 gallons on a 120 gallon tank) every week for 3 weeks and after that it seemed to go away. i haven't seen it since and its been about 4 weeks. I would try a couple of bigger water changes maybe do 20 - 30 gallon in one change.
HTH good luck

mouseishouse
03/30/2013, 03:17 PM
thanks guys i will try those idea's do you think it could be the salt im using as well? oceanic sea salt?

NanoReefNoob
03/30/2013, 03:40 PM
I dont think it can be your salt, at least I have never heard of it being salt before. The reason all of your test are coming back low is because you are feeding the algea. You have phos in you system its just that the algea eats it and it wont show up on your tests. I had a big problem with it as well. I did lights out method and it would work ... for a few weeks then it would come right back. you need to find what is putting the phos into the system and solve that problem. Lights out is just a short term solution for a long term problem.

Check your RO system with a new meter to make sure you are really getting 0PPM. Your meter could have gone bad after 5 1/2 years.

Keep doing large water changes and exporting the algea. also flow is very usefull in fighting it.

r1racer
03/30/2013, 04:34 PM
chemiclean the tank and/or take your rock out and let it sit in the dark for a month.

Mitchell_2004
03/31/2013, 10:40 AM
I had a bad case as well.. However, my tank is only about 6 months old.. But, I bought a Foxface one spot, and he ate it all up.. Was really surprised to see him to go after it.

Sk8r
03/31/2013, 10:43 AM
I put a sticky on this at the top of the New to the Hobby forum.

Misled
03/31/2013, 11:52 AM
I put a sticky on this at the top of the New to the Hobby forum.

This is the method I used. Be anal about water changes. Do lights out every 3 weeks till it's all gone. It won't happen overnight. Mine took three months. I don't recommend chemclean. While it will kill the cyano, it will kill beneficial bacteria also.

geemanaz
03/31/2013, 11:56 AM
Take look at the Cyano Scrubber Experiment thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229534