PDA

View Full Version : Starting Cycle

jmifland
03/29/2013, 01:35 PM
I will be starting my cycle this weekend. I currently have 40-50 pounds of base rock and I will be picked up a new bucket of salt and 80 pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink live sand. If I throw in some bio-spera and an entire shrimp would it be okay to start the cycle like that and then seed with live rock down the road. I would probably add the live rock in about a week or two but I would like to start the cycle as soon as possible.

PAnanoguy
03/29/2013, 01:52 PM
yes, you could do the cycle this way with the shrimp. The only issue with adding Live rock later is if you add a lot of it, it could cause another cycle. How big is the tank? how much live rock do you plan to add later? take your time. theres no need to rush. nothing good happens fast.

SloppyWhenWet
03/29/2013, 02:43 PM
No live anything is ever needed. Just get sand, rock, saltwater and ghost feed. It does it all its self. Still I love how death brings about the life on the reef.

jmifland
03/29/2013, 02:52 PM
I will seed slowly mainly for the coralline. I want the rock to turn purple and I will probably seed the sump this weekend to make sure I get some life.