PDA

View Full Version : Eco reef DIY rock mix

akillian
03/29/2013, 04:18 PM
I may have found a potentially phenomenal product that is completely unknown!

I'm starting up a 20 gal sps rimless, and the goal for this one is to make it as low maintenance and simple as possible. Getting back to the basics here.

In doing some research, I found that ceramic rock has a lot of benefits when it comes to maintenance, so long as it's porous enough to sustain good bacterial colonies. When looking for some, I quickly realized that it's pretty high priced, so naturally I kept looking. I'm all about not cutting corners and spending the extra few dollars to do it right, but if I find something that does the same job for half the price? well... the decision is obvious.

In my googling, I stumbled across a website called Eco Reef Technologies. I have no idea how I came across it because this poor guy is literally talking to himself on his website's blog. But anyways, he's selling a product called eco rock mix, which lets the buyer shape and create their own eco reef rock.

He says the mix is a mix of aggregates and Portland Cement making it similar to live rock found in the natural ocean reefs. He also has a couple pics of coral growing on it in his tank. Apparently it's porous, sturdy rock and can be used as good biological filtration.

I like what it says about it and everything, but I can't find reviews anywhere. Nobody has used this rock mix except his family and friends, and he doesn't have very many good pictures.

Anybody know about this stuff? What is your opinion on it? Would you try it?

meisel1
03/29/2013, 04:29 PM
have a look at this http://www.eco-reefer.com/ never heard of a mix it yourself product

akillian
03/29/2013, 04:41 PM
have a look at this http://www.eco-reefer.com/ never heard of a mix it yourself product

one of the reasons that I didn't want to go with rock is because of all of the cracks and crevices for detritus to get away from the flow and settle. I don't want to have to get all up in the rock structure to siphon it out, and still miss some. I'm looking for generally smooth (yet porous) rocks without anywhere for the nasties to hide... Did you check out the website?

meisel1
03/29/2013, 06:09 PM
i used this rock in my tank and in future WILL use it again...it was so clean it was sterile...just had to rinse it really well.IMo you need crevises and holes for the critters that are gonna come no matter what you do :)

akillian
03/29/2013, 06:26 PM
i used this rock in my tank and in future WILL use it again...it was so clean it was sterile...just had to rinse it really well.IMo you need crevises and holes for the critters that are gonna come no matter what you do :)

in a reef tank? grow coralline well and everything?

and the only critter'd be a clown, and he'd have an anemone... low maintenance at possible

meisel1
03/29/2013, 06:48 PM
check my album that should answer your question...and by critters i mean bristle worms , pods and such

akillian
03/29/2013, 07:57 PM
check my album that should answer your question...and by critters i mean bristle worms , pods and such

Nice! I'll definitely keep the rock in mind

Nammy
03/29/2013, 08:29 PM
Thia should be in the advance topics :)

akillian
03/29/2013, 08:32 PM
Thia should be in the advance topics :)

Sorry :( im relatively new to this forum stuff

Nammy
03/29/2013, 08:48 PM
Been there, couldn't resist. :) I'm still learning, seams like the more I know, the more I realized how much I don't know :)

akillian
03/29/2013, 09:14 PM
Been there, couldn't resist. :) I'm still learning, seams like the more I know, the more I realized how much I don't know :)

that's the truth. these forums are like an endless supply of questionable knowledge. It's addicting

Nammy
03/30/2013, 04:48 AM
Good place to get good info is link listed below
Take a look at past issues.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm