PDA

View Full Version : Will siphon from Herbie style overflow starve my tank of oxygen?

jerrodm
03/29/2013, 05:03 PM
Hello all! I just finished plumbing my new and first tank. It's a 40 Breeder with a 20 Gal Long Sump. I also have dual drains set up in a herbie style overflow. I am using gate valves and have the siphon drain set perfectly so there is absolutely no sucking sounds and runs very very quiet. The drainage pipes go into the water directly so there is no splashing (I want everything quiet). I also have really good bubble traps in my sump. After I had the system running (no livestock or anything in there yet), I noticed there are NO bubbles anywhere to be seen in the DT.

With no crashing water going through the sump and a solid siphon going in my overflow box, is it possible there is going to be too little oxygen in my tank? I got a Maxi-Jet 900 and put in my DT as a powerhead with the air running through it like a venturi and there are way too many bubbles so I think it's overkill and want to switch it to a circulation pump instead. I dunno - please help!

kfisc
03/29/2013, 05:15 PM
Not to worry- if you have good circulation, an open surface, a space free of carbon monoxide (as in next to a furnace in the basement), fresh air in the room, along with good upkeep, you'll be fine.

jerrodm
03/29/2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply - so for better circulation should I convert the Maxi-jet to a circulation pump instead of the power head? The air bubbles that are shooting out of it look terrible!

kfisc
03/29/2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the quick reply - so for better circulation should I convert the Maxi-jet to a circulation pump instead of the power head? The air bubbles that are shooting out of it look terrible!

I would- good luck!

borderreef
03/29/2013, 06:46 PM
Do you have a protein skimmer? Plenty of oxygenation there for a 40 breeder. No need to add bubbles to the tank. Along with what kfisc said, you'll be fine.
BTW kfisc, can I borrow your telescope for a few nights?

MrTuskfish
03/29/2013, 07:26 PM

You shouldn't get any bubbles from any PH, assuming its totally submerged and/or use the airline tubing thing-a-ma-jig. Air bubbles (like an airstone) don't directly supply oxygen, they just disturb the surface so gas exchange can take place. Most folks want bubble-free tanks and its easy to accomplish