PDA

View Full Version : Brown bugs... HELP!!!!

IloveGreatDanes
03/29/2013, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone, just letting you know that I am new to saltwater aquariums. Anyway, I came back from a three day trip today to find a frag of eagle eye zoas closed up with hundreds of little brown bugs crawling on it. I freaked out and immediately threw it away. The other corals and inverts in the tank were fine, but I cant find anything on brown bugs. All I could find info was black bugs and red bugs and I was wondering if I should treat the tank with stuff to kill the red and black bugs.

downbeach
03/29/2013, 05:50 PM
Sounds like it may be amphipods, if so they're very beneficial to your tank. Here's some info:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/

IloveGreatDanes
03/29/2013, 05:53 PM
I had read about amphipods but why would they be killing coral? Plus they were pretty circular. Is there any natural predator so I wouldnt have to treat my tank with chemicals?

Anemone
03/29/2013, 09:12 PM
Flatworms - aka planaria? They're referred to as red flatworms, but they can appear brown.

Kevin

kenny4128
03/30/2013, 01:27 AM
If you are worried about your live rock hitch hikers you could get a wrasse. They pick at the rocks and sand looking for copepods and amphipods. You shouldn't worry too much though, these small critters help your aquarium by eating un-eaten food, fish waste, and some of their spawn will become coral/fish food.

IloveGreatDanes
03/31/2013, 03:31 PM
Ok thanks. I will look into getting a wrasse maybe. Thanks for the help