PDA

View Full Version : Auto feeding of a mandrian

Mark Bianco
03/29/2013, 05:40 PM
I am looking for opinions. What I would like to do is setup a 10 gl tank to keep and grow pods. Then I would use my Litermeter pump to daily dose from this tank to my dispaly tank that I will be adding a mandrain golby. The literMeter can be set to dose as low as 1.7 oz per day.

Now that I am thinking about it perhaps I can also add some coral food to the 10 gl tank as well.

Anybody have an opinion if something like this will work???

Thanks in advance
Mark

Sk8r
03/29/2013, 05:44 PM
What you need is just a 20 gallon fuge plumbed in, with barriers, either into your sump or as a separate tank. Copepods have no trouble getting through the pump alive. They're that small. I've even had amphipods make it through my Iwaki 100, which is worse than a Cuisinart. Main thing you need is just to keep that mandy away from the breeding area. THey have no self-restraint.

Sk8r
03/29/2013, 05:45 PM
Here's some math on the breed. http://reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=501

Mark Bianco
03/29/2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks Sk8R Thats one hungry little fish. I have a 220gl tank with 150 lbs live rock and a 100 gl sump with another 100 lbs of live rock. Guess I need to get some cheato as well.

Are the live pods you buy at places like Live aquaria the same thing?

DNA
03/30/2013, 02:51 AM
I'd say your tank is large enough to support the mandarin without any changes.
It looks like you are underestimating the current size of your pod population.

Liquid360
03/30/2013, 04:19 PM
You should be able to check your population by shining a red light in your overflow. The adults are about quarter the size of a grain of rice and you'll see them under red light. I've got a mandarin and a scooter dragonet and I drove myself nuts for months afraid of having them starve to death for lack of an invisible food source I couldn't monitor. I bought a bottle of tigger pods every couple weeks from lfs to dump into the sump/refugium. It was overkill but kept my mind at ease by being proactive and it resulted in a very healthy population that still add to once a month or so.