PDA

View Full Version : My 90 gallon set up

Darth Polymnus
03/29/2013, 06:42 PM
New to the hobby. Tank has been running since early October 2012. Here are my current specs. Currently its a FOWLR set-up, but will be looking to add some corals and an anemone in a few months.

Tank Size
90 gallon 48.5" x 18.5" x 25.4" Oak Trim

Tank Stand
18 X 48 oak stand w/canopy

Lighting
Current USA 48 Inch TrueLumen Dimmable LED Striplight:
12,000K Diamond White
Deepwater Blue - 453nm actinic
Marine Fusion - a combination of 12K white & 453nm blue
3 LED Lunar Lights
Overflow
CPR CS102 Overflow Box
Aqua Lifter Pump

Sump
Aqueon ProFlex Sump Model 3 - 26.3" x 14.8" x 17.4"
Basic refugium light

Top off
JBJ A.T.O. Water Level Controller

Protein Skimmer
Coralife New Style Super Skimmer

Reactor
BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor – Dual

UV Sterilizer
Coralife Turbo Twist 12X UV Sterilizer - 36 Watt 1200gph

Return pump
Aqueon Quietflow Submersible Aquarium Utility Pump 3000

Wavemaker
Aquarium Currents Sea Swirl 3/4 850gph

Circulation
Aqueon 06134 Circulation Pump, 1,250 GPH

Substrate
140 lbs medium grain sand

Live Rock
70 - 75 lbs BRS Bulk Fiji Dry Live Rock

Heater
ViaAqua 300-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater

RO/DI
BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD

Livestock
1 green chromis
1 pajama cardinal
1 blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 molly miller blenny
1 mandarin dragonet
1 coral banded shrimp
2 emerald crabs
6 hermit crabs
2 nerite snails
1 margarita snail
2 turbo snails
1 chocolate chip starfish

Darth Polymnus
03/29/2013, 06:49 PM
Here's a pic

TimeConsumer
03/30/2013, 02:45 AM
Your blue tang is absolutely miniscule, looks about the size my my yellow tail damsel! (watch out for the tang police) I really like your aquascape, should provide for lots of coral placement.

If you're moving to a reef you'll have to upgrade your lights to something more powerful. Your skimmer may also need a boost, I haven't heard great things about the Coralife.

Waterflow looks good for softies/LPS, if you want to go SPS you may want to add in another 1000+ gph powerhead.

You'll also need to decide on what method to keep up your calc/alk once you move to a reef. Kalkwasser in the ATO will be cheapest, 2 part with dosing pumps will require a little initial investment, but works great too.

And you'll have to ditch the chocolate chip starfish, definitely not reef safe.

Your progress looks great so far, keep us posted and happy reefing!

cedwards04
03/30/2013, 07:14 AM
Looks good. i like the rockscape as well. how do you like the sea swirl? i have heard good things about them.

Darth Polymnus
03/30/2013, 01:11 PM
Your blue tang is absolutely miniscule, looks about the size my my yellow tail damsel! (watch out for the tang police) I really like your aquascape, should provide for lots of coral placement.

If you're moving to a reef you'll have to upgrade your lights to something more powerful. Your skimmer may also need a boost, I haven't heard great things about the Coralife.

Waterflow looks good for softies/LPS, if you want to go SPS you may want to add in another 1000+ gph powerhead.

You'll also need to decide on what method to keep up your calc/alk once you move to a reef. Kalkwasser in the ATO will be cheapest, 2 part with dosing pumps will require a little initial investment, but works great too.

And you'll have to ditch the chocolate chip starfish, definitely not reef safe.

Your progress looks great so far, keep us posted and happy reefing!

Yeah, I wanted to get the tang small so I could watch him grow with the tank. My LED's are dimmed down since the extra light isnt really needed right now. I read similar things about the Coralife skimmer, but mine seems to do well enough. When I start doing upgrades, I may eventually replace it. I actually have another powerhead in my stand. I want to put a net around it before I put it back in the tank so my anemone will be protected once I get one. I'll be watching my starfish to make sure he behaves. Would he try to munch on mushrooms?

Darth Polymnus
03/30/2013, 01:14 PM
Looks good. i like the rockscape as well. how do you like the sea swirl? i have heard good things about them.

Thanks! I like the Sea Swirl alot. Considering getting a second one if I redo my sump and return pump plumbing.

Darth Polymnus
03/30/2013, 01:19 PM
Additional pics

twistedfinn967
03/30/2013, 05:10 PM
I'm diggin' your rock work.

Darth Polymnus
03/30/2013, 09:43 PM
I'm diggin' your rock work.

Thanks! BRS Fiji dry rock. Good stuff.