PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint (dancing) shrimp eating my corals

mattsilvester
03/29/2013, 07:35 PM
Hi All,

My peppermint shrimp are eating my corals. How can I catch them? I was thinking that maybe a plastic bottle with the top cut off and inserted backwards might work? But surely these little guys will swimp back out as easily as they swam in?

Any ideas?

The alternative is a lunare wrasse I guess :uzi: ...... hahaha (joking)

Windirmere
03/29/2013, 07:58 PM
My pepermint shrimp would swim up to my hand :S so catching him would be easy if he started doing bad things in the tank. Are you 100% sure its not a camel shrimp?
and the bottle idea would probably work, they are not the smartest of creatures.

squishifishi
03/29/2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I find they're really out going, just put a piece of food in your hand and It should just come to you.
Check if they're actually camel shrimp. common cause of confusion.

Bpb
03/29/2013, 10:41 PM
No help in catching him. I had a peppermint that loved to eat my ricordeas. Its not unheard of. Even the correct ones will go rogue on occasion. Fortunately my damsel helped me out and made a meal out of him. Now I have one that just eats detritus. He won't touch aiptasia but luckily he leaves coral alone.

mattsilvester
03/30/2013, 08:15 AM
Well they are cheap as chips here in Bangkok, so I went and added 10!!!

I may need to resort to some biological control..... I reckon only something like a thalasoma wrasse will be savvy enough to catch them.

My snails are as big as gold balls, so they should be safe ;)