PDA

View Full Version : RODI Unit Help Please!

tsharrer
03/29/2013, 08:30 PM
I recently bought a RODI unit, 75 gallons a day. It was recently used by another fellow reef brother. I have never used one. He had it up and running and ran well when I saw it. I hooked it up and I noticed the last cartridge was not wired in. It was not being used??? Help! Do I need to run tubing into it? or did he do something to by pass it. Also what is supposed to have in it. There was nothing in it but I noticed he put what looked like a white filter in the tub with it so I threw it in it. My TDS is reading zero. How much water is supposed to be coming out as waste? It is coming out pretty steady. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

bnumair
03/29/2013, 08:38 PM
Hi
I am on my cell phone but from what I can see. Ur first filter is not hooked up. It should go from tap to chamber 1 then 2 then membrane then 4th di. Waste will be almost 4 to1 ratio.

jamesbaur13
03/29/2013, 08:40 PM
That's not the last unit, it's the first. From right to left you'll see

1) sediment filter
2) Carbon Block
3) DI Resin

on top you see that torpedo looking canister, thats the RO membrane

Follow the path of the "wires".

The wire leading from your faucet should go to the sediment filter, then to the carbon block, then to the RO membrane, lastly to the DI resin.

shifty51008
03/29/2013, 09:43 PM
follow the others way of hooking it up, but I would replace the filters. the white one looks fine but the others look very old.

from the looks of it though I see a sediment filter on both ends and I am guessing that is the DI in the middle which is very weird to me. but all depends on how the lines are ran.

tsharrer
03/30/2013, 01:09 PM
Ok I dont think I have a DI resin. The water goes from the faucet into the chamber on the left, then to the middle champer which I believe is the carbon. Then it goes to the membrane and then straight out. The tds meter is hooked up to and in and an out. I just wanna make sure but the tds meter should be hooked up to the clean water correct?

Michigan Mike
03/30/2013, 03:16 PM
Ok I dont think I have a DI resin. The water goes from the faucet into the chamber on the left, then to the middle champer which I believe is the carbon. Then it goes to the membrane and then straight out. The tds meter is hooked up to and in and an out. I just wanna make sure but the tds meter should be hooked up to the clean water correct?

Correct the TDS meter should show you numbers after the membrane & after the DI resin.
You can use a handheld meter to test your tap water.

Michigan Mike
03/30/2013, 03:18 PM
Your filter looks like it has a sediment filter instead of DI resin but it could be backwards.

tsharrer
03/31/2013, 08:39 AM
Does the sediment filter get really hard? or does it stay soft?

shifty51008
03/31/2013, 08:49 AM
mine have always had a cushin feel to them even after getting dark brown but i am sure it could get hard if dried out after been used.

if the systerm has been completly dried out then you will want to replace your membrane also.

tsharrer
03/31/2013, 10:35 PM
Ok he just replaces the membrane when I bought it and Ive always kept it wet. Can anyone give me a sample pic of the DI resin?

shifty51008
03/31/2013, 10:41 PM
i don't have a pic of my DI unit at the moment but it will look like a bunch of tiny blue beads if it is new or a brownish tan color if used.

Michigan Mike
04/01/2013, 09:45 AM
Color changing will be blue @ first but if you ave a inline TDS meter that reads before the DI stage & after you don't need to pay more for the color changing resin, mine looks black and turns brown as it gets used up.

Added a T before the DI so I can make pure RO water for drinking water.
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o535/Mike_Mcdougald/Snapbucket/F1686AA5_zps3ab6204d.jpg

Add valves on the end of the new RO line & DI linehttp://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o535/Mike_Mcdougald/Snapbucket/2A1C9EFB_zps63e2d496.jpg

tomlow617
04/01/2013, 10:10 AM
Agree it looks as if filters should be changed.

But You have a tds meter.

Tds in should be greater than zero. Tds out should be zero. (There is a switch on mine to change although you could just have a tds out).

If tds greater than zero I would change filters and re test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomlow617
04/01/2013, 10:12 AM
White Switch under display lists in and out.

It is the same tds meter I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk