PDA

View Full Version : Ich problem?

HUNTER1
03/29/2013, 09:09 PM
I added couple of corals without dipping and all of a sudden my only two fish are going crazy rubbing on rocks. Is that even possible corals carried the ich into my tank?
Anyway, how can I treat the whole tank? I have sixline and starry blenny in a 40g, thanks

HumbleFish
03/29/2013, 09:21 PM
It's possible, although unlikely, that Ich can "hitchhike" in on corals. But I wouldn't push the panic button just yet. Have you noticed any white specks? Are they targeting a certain area, like rubbing their gills? You need to be reasonably sure of a diagnosis before discussing treatment options.

HUNTER1
03/29/2013, 10:15 PM
My blenny was going nuts rubbing his body on rocks and really stressed out. I haven't checked any spots but I will in the morning. One thing I changed this morning, I raised the temp from 78 to 80 degrees. I just changed it back down to where it was. Could that be a possibility caused him to do that? He's settled in for the night and hoping for the best tomorrow.

ReeferGil
03/30/2013, 01:02 AM
Is it just your Starry Blenny rubbing? I started a similar post a while back ago. My Starry Blenny rubs on the rocks and dive bombs into the sand. He never developed any signs of a parasite. I was told that blennies purposely do this to disturb the surface of the rocks and sand in an effort to search for food. He still does this to this day, but he is perfectly healthy. Like HumbleFish suggested, wait until you have a clear picture of what parasite, if any, you have before treating. My guess is that you're okay.

HUNTER1
03/30/2013, 06:50 AM
I have to see today. If it was Ich, I have to empty the tank and catch them.
This is the first time he did that and was going crazy and scared, poor guy. I love him too.

EllieSuz
03/30/2013, 07:48 AM
My Starry Blenny does that too. He just kind of snakes and twists his body on the sand, so I'm sure it's a natural phenomenon.

DrPat
03/30/2013, 08:57 AM
Fish MAY scratch for different reasons depending on the species. The best way to examine a fish is at night with a flash light as it sleeps . [ when possible] Always look at the resting respiration rate, the gills should both be breathing at a relaxed rate .Rapid breathing or only 1 gill breathing during sleep would indicate respiratory problems which could be parasites .Examine the body for parasites as well polylabs medic is a good reef tank treatment that I have used in the past.http://www.marinedepot.com/Polyp_Lab_Medic_30mL_Saltwater_Fish_Parasite_Medications-Polyp_Lab-PP2111-FIMEPS-vi.html
you can read my review on that site

HUNTER1
03/30/2013, 09:27 AM
I lowered the temp last night from 79.7 and this morning reads 78.7, both fish are not scraping and I don't seen any spots on the sixline and on the blenny except his normal starry spots. I'll keep monitoring today, it may just be the temp raised.

MrTuskfish
03/30/2013, 10:02 AM
I lowered the temp last night from 79.7 and this morning reads 78.7, both fish are not scraping and I don't seen any spots on the sixline and on the blenny except his normal starry spots. I'll keep monitoring today, it may just be the temp raised.
A couple degrees isn't going to matter at all. Reefs don't stay at the same temp. The difference between 78 & 80 is not significant at all.

HUNTER1
03/30/2013, 11:10 AM
A couple degrees isn't going to matter at all. Reefs don't stay at the same temp. The difference between 78 & 80 is not significant at all.
Could it be that something stuck to the blennys skin and tried to get ift off? the sixline however swipes his side on the filter intake every once in a while. I can see the sixline skin is very clear and nothing on it. I couldn't even try to catch them or take out the rocks, I just had back surgery. I'm hoping everything is well for my sake.

coral_lagoon
03/30/2013, 11:42 AM
If the corals you added came from a tank with other fish in it. Then anything is possible IMO..

HUNTER1
03/30/2013, 12:05 PM
I really hope it was just something else. I need to be more cautious next time.