PDA

View Full Version : Polyp Identity

wolfenstein87
03/29/2013, 11:42 PM
My LFS has a bunch of these polyps in their frag tank, but doesn't know what they are or where they came from. I liked the coloration so much that they gave me one. The polyp closes when the light is off, and immediately opens when light returns. It likes high flow and high light.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrmwqx2eu00skd9/Video.MOV

lhm nole
03/30/2013, 12:36 AM
Im going to say its a majano not a polyp and if it is kill it.

wolfenstein87
03/31/2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Hormigaquatica
03/31/2013, 01:57 PM
It isn't a polyp, and it isn't a majano. It is a type of anemone though. Watching how active it is and how quickly it moves in the video definitely makes it look predatory; be careful keeping it around small fish or shrimp.

MediTank
04/30/2013, 10:49 AM
ya that is def not a majano... it opens too fast.... as long as it doesnt start splitting and spreading at a rapid rate i would say it is ok.... have you tried feeding it shrimp pieces or any other food? cause if it closes instantly around those then you can concur that it is a preditory anem. and should be careful about what other fishies you have in your tank..... :bounce3:

grdpder
05/09/2013, 09:41 PM
My LFS has a bunch of these polyps in their frag tank, but doesn't know what they are or where they came from. I liked the coloration so much that they gave me one. The polyp closes when the light is off, and immediately opens when light returns. It likes high flow and high light.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrmwqx2eu00skd9/Video.MOV

that sure looks like a duncan to me...

wolfenstein87
05/09/2013, 09:44 PM
Well since its been introduced it has split three times and I think once more earlier today. I haven't fed it large shrimp, just a mix of brine and cyclopes and it closed up around it quickly. I may end up taking them out before too long.

NanoReefWanabe
05/11/2013, 11:31 AM
are the tentacles on the oral disc or just around it?

it certainly looks like a anemone to me...and if it has split then that would certainly nail it down as an anemone and not a polyp, i have never seen polyps propagate by splitting...

i dont think it is a majano...looks more like a flower/rock anemone, either way still fairly aggressive and almost as invasive as a majano. only place for this is in a species tank, i would not put it in a reef tank, it will certainly kill everything...if not by overtaking it then by stinging/ eating it...

nommarune
05/18/2013, 07:24 AM
One of the locan lfs have quite a few of those in different colors and they are calling them rock anemnomes. selling em at $40 a pop. so thats what i say it is