PDA

View Full Version : Why are Damsels so cheap? I saw some for 3.99

that Fish Guy
03/29/2013, 11:34 PM
Why are Damsels so cheap?

I saw some for 3.99

I mean they are beautiful.

I would have to say that after the Blue Hippo Tang Damsels are the most beautiful fish in the world by far.

Yet small fish average like 20.00 and most large fish like 50.00

And the Damsels look much much better than any of those more expensive fish.

jarrodsanborn
03/29/2013, 11:44 PM
Because most are mean and evil. Seriously!

that Fish Guy
03/29/2013, 11:59 PM
I have never had a problem with them.

The only Fish I think are mean are Clown Fish as they bite me all the time. No other fish do that.

TimeConsumer
03/30/2013, 12:04 AM
By blue hipp tang damsel I am assuming you are referring to a yellow tail damsel, yes? And I agree they are a beautiful fish. I have one in my 75g and he is a model citizen, nicer than most of my other fish. Damsels get a bad rap because of a few really aggressive secies like dominos. But I find yellowtail damsels and talbot's damsels aren't aggresive at all and make for great beginner fish.

PiscesTank
03/30/2013, 12:05 AM
i think its because most of the common damselfish are easy to keep and breed, so they are not as "rare" or expensive to capture, transport, medicate, feed, whatever

PiscesTank
03/30/2013, 12:06 AM
my yellowtail was a terror! and my domino was a great addition, hosted my condy nem too. my 4 stripe is great also

SaltwaterSensei
03/30/2013, 12:32 AM
I like damsels as well. I really like the domino damsels. There awesome as juvies and like PicesTank I had 5 that hosted in a LTA. However by the time they were adults they pretty much stopped hosting in the LTA and became real dbags, or damn-sels. If I had a huge huge (500+) tank I would have liked to keep them as I feel they probly could be kept in check from larger fish I'd be able to keep

kenny4128
03/30/2013, 12:57 AM
i think its because most of the common damselfish are easy to keep and breed, so they are not as "rare" or expensive to capture, transport, medicate, feed, whatever

+1

NYCBOB
03/30/2013, 05:58 AM
its supply and demand I think. damsels r abundant and hardy in the wild.

Khemul
03/30/2013, 10:16 AM
The only Fish I think are mean are Clown Fish as they bite me all the time. No other fish do that.
Clownfish are damsels.

But essentially what PiscesTank said. Damsels are to saltwater what Livebearers are to freshwater.

Trevenator
03/30/2013, 10:18 AM

I have had more then 10 Damsels of different kinds over the years and have never had a nice one. Some start out ok but within a few months turn to devils.

I will never have one again. Way to hard to catch to get out of your tank.

D-Nak
03/30/2013, 10:35 AM
I was once told by a LFS owner that they are caught by the thousands using a boat that pulls a big net over the reef. Their adundance alone makes them cheap.

syrinx
03/30/2013, 10:41 AM
It is their abundance- but also their ability to survive shipping and adapt to less than ideal water quality. There are a lot of fish that are expensive not due to rarity, or difficulty of capture- rather loss once caught.

Sk8r
03/30/2013, 10:58 AM
Damsels are my alltime favorite fish, but to have a damsel tank you need at least 100 gallons and don't get two of anything but maybe 5 chromis.

People ask about schooling fish. Your chromis will school if there's a blue velvet in the tank: cranky fish, very territorial, and you need to arrange pass-throughs and spires in your rockwork. My mix was 5 chromis, one blue velvet, a blue devil, a domino, two clarkii clowns and a sergeant major (but today I'd leave him out as a little too cranky and add a couple of azures or yellow-tails. And I did move out the clarkiis after they wanted half the tank and took to biting ME.) The damsels were compatible with blennies, gobies, dragonets, royal gramma, angels, corals, and I never, ever, even had a nipped fin from the damsels. Given enough room, it's all bluster. The size of a fish does not adequately forecast how much room it needs, and damsels are a prime example. 100 gallons at least, for most, and if you want schooling fish, get a 250 and multiples of more of these species. They'll dart and chase in groups.

Buzz1329
03/30/2013, 08:04 PM
I have my three fave damsels in my 75. They all get along well (despite some occasional chasing and nipping) and don't hassel tankmates:

Yellowtail Damsel (Chrysiptera parasema)
Azure Damselfish (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
Blue and Gold Damselfish (Pomacentrus coelestis)

that Fish Guy
03/30/2013, 09:02 PM
By blue hipp tang damsel I am assuming you are referring to a yellow tail damsel, yes? And I agree they are a beautiful fish. I have one in my 75g and he is a model citizen, nicer than most of my other fish. Damsels get a bad rap because of a few really aggressive secies like dominos. But I find yellowtail damsels and talbot's damsels aren't aggresive at all and make for great beginner fish.

No, I mean Blue Hippo Tang.

As in - My favorite Fish in order:

1: Blue Hippo Tang
2: Blue Damsel
3: Koran Angel (Baby)
4: Powder Blue Tang

etc.

that Fish Guy
03/30/2013, 09:04 PM

Really. You can breed them?

I was told that only Clownfish and Banghai Cardinals could be breed and that all other fish were wild caught because none have ever been breed in captivity ever. Like it was impossible or something.

OrQidz
03/30/2013, 10:18 PM
I think there are a lot more captive bred species than that, but I'm not an expert.

Some damsels can be ok, but some of the really pretty little ones turn into big drab mean fish!

Tuton
03/31/2013, 12:37 AM
Seahorses and Dottybacks are also regularly captive bred, along with a handfull of sharks, dragonets, blennies, and gobies. Some large angelfish and tangs are even being captive reared, i.e. captured during the larval stage of development.

dano1
03/31/2013, 06:11 AM

beat me to it....

davidadelp
03/31/2013, 08:44 AM
Their cheap because they are so common. They are all really pretty fish but I would say if you have to have them included in your tank add them last so they don't decide the whole tank is theirs. I just ordered a Jewel damsel from the LFS but itll be one of my last ones.