PDA

View Full Version : frustrated w my ro system

fatboy1004
03/30/2013, 05:48 AM
I'm setting up a 180g tank and purchased a 75gdp brs ro/di system. It's been running now for almost three days and barely have 50 gallons of water. Pressure is fine not sure what's wrong.

downbeach
03/30/2013, 05:57 AM
I'm setting up a 180g tank and purchased a 75gdp brs ro/di system. It's been running now for almost three days and barely have 50 gallons of water. Pressure is fine not sure what's wrong.

Any pic's?

alexander_ktn
03/30/2013, 06:18 AM
Did you flush out the carbon filter before connecting everything to the membrane? It can clog it up quite badly...

Otherwise I'd suggest to see where the obstruction lies - i.e. disconnect each part consecutively, let the water run through it and see where the problem lies. That way you'll see if anything other than the membrane is the culprit.

fatboy1004
03/30/2013, 06:25 AM
The directions said to hook it up to water supply and to run it for an hour....never said to flush out any filter.

alexander_ktn
03/30/2013, 06:31 AM
I would check the membrane then. If there is black dust on it try to gently flush it out under tap water. If the tap water in your area is chlorinated then best use a bucket of r/o water to do it, since chlorine can attack the membrane material afaik.

The carbon filters can have dust in them from abrasions during transport.

elFloyd
03/30/2013, 06:35 AM
May take days to weeks before it produces properly. Media needs to saterate and air absorbed. Also, output is affected by water temperature and water pressure. Take it apart If its not working properly after a couple weeks (depending on how often you run it) and the pressure and temperature are good. I had this problem and found too much Teflon tape was used on an elbow joint leaving a wad stuck in the line. Once I fixed this it still took a week to get output as advertised

jimmy frag
03/30/2013, 06:41 AM
how much waste water are you getting ? there is a restrictor in the line on some and thumb dial on others. anyways, 2.5 days would be normal to fill that size tank with a 75 gpd unit with 70-80 psi. one other thing, the filters have a rating for GPD but you most likely know this. good luck

fatboy1004
03/30/2013, 04:38 PM
I took the system apart and checked everything all seems normal.. put it back together and I'll have to see what happens

BretCreager
03/31/2013, 02:45 AM
temp can make a big difference, try taking you input line and coil it about 10 times in a bucket if water with a tank heater set at about 65-70. That willv warm the water and help it flow through the membrane easier. Also check your water pressure at the membrane, it needs about 80psi to achieve the rated gpd, if either if those two are off you will lose speed, but you should still get your 0tds that your looking for

fatboy1004
03/31/2013, 06:08 AM
That's a great idea Bret I have that set up now.....let's see how that works!
Thanks

gone fishin
03/31/2013, 07:07 AM
I did the bucket trick on mine and it made a big difference along with a booster pump.