PDA

View Full Version : How to keep a glass tank scratch-free?

ACBlinky
03/30/2013, 07:41 AM
This may be impossible, but I'm hoping to keep our new tank scratch free. Scratches are the bane of our existence as fish-keepers, and of course none of us intend to get them, but I'd like to know all the things that people have noted that cause them, and how NOT to do those things.

What I've observed so far that causes scratches:
- moving a rock along the edge of the glass
- sand grain caught beneath a magnet cleaner
- misusing a razor blade
- pushing too hard with 'algae-scrubbing' sponges
- allowing small children to 'help' clean the tank with the mag-float

(Yep, I've made a lot of mistakes over many years)

So, any secrets to a scratch-free tank?

syrinx
03/30/2013, 10:52 AM
First off- no black sand! Second, keep glass clean, so you do not have to scrub on it. I like to take my hand over the glass before begining to clean, sometimes sand kicked up by fish will be stuck to the glass. I also have two algae pads for each tank, A blue one for general cleaning, and a white one I use within one inch of the sand. This way I never have the possibility of sand on a pad anywhere but at the bottom. I also like to use a stiff brush (like a fingernail brush) on some tanks instead of a pad- no sand can get trapped in them. Finally I do not use small razor blades- I use a 4 inch razor paint scraper. I wide blade is easier to keep flat and eliminate the chance of scratching. Do not get me wrong- I am not a retentive! I have just had to deal with many situations- including people who insist on black sand!

ACBlinky
03/30/2013, 09:18 PM
Thank you very much for that, it was really helpful -- it appears there really are 1001 ways to scratch a tank :S

I'm curious, what's different about black sand? I was actually considering it for the new tank (not any more!) Is it similar to silica sand, very sharp-edged, or is the issue just that it's harder to see on a surface (so you might not notice it stuck to a mag-float or sponge)?

OrQidz
03/30/2013, 09:55 PM
I never use a mag float anymore. I always managed to scratch the tank eventually no matter how careful I was. I use an algae pad made for acryclic tanks since it's softer and I use a plastic scraper for coralline. So far, so good.

syrinx
03/30/2013, 10:37 PM
Black sand has many issues. It is harder than calcium based sand, so it scratches more. Some of it can have magnetic particles in it that can get on a mag float, and it is prone to sticking to glass when the fish disturb it.

On another note- many fish do not display their true colors when on black sand. Many tangs and rabbitfish will show drab colors with a dark substrate. It also is not the best idea for wrasses.