PDA

View Full Version : Ready For 1st Coral ... Question(s)

Olof
03/30/2013, 08:30 AM
Hello,

DT has been running for 6mos and water parameters are stable. I'd like to get my 1st coral(s) this weekend.

Couple of questions;

1. Do I freshwater dip and/or place them in a QT for a few days or just do a freshwater dip? Any other meds I should dip/keep them in?

2. I've run two sets of fish through my QT. I've cleaned and set the QT back up but now I've read more info about freshwater dipping fish and/or keeping them in a tank with 1.010 SG for the quarantine phase. Right now the QT has a SG of 1.020. Should I dilute with more freshwater? I use Prazipro when I QT the fish for 6 weeks.

3. Is it okay to run both the coral and newly purchased fish through QT at same time? Do I acclimate them both or simply plop them in the hyposalinity tank so all the nasty critters and bugs explode and fall off?

Thank you

squishifishi
03/30/2013, 08:36 AM
I never dip my coral because I worry it will stress and kill them, but I'm sure you've done your research, so we'll wait for some more opinions on this.
What kind of corals do you plan on getting?

bnumair
03/30/2013, 08:48 AM
1. i personally dont do freshwater dips. i strongly recommend against it. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1953203
just do coral rx or revive.

2 you can qt corals but make sure qt has not run copper or any other meds that can hurt/kill them. also bring all paramters upto reef levels sg 1.026 alk 7-11dkh cal 380-460ppm and mag 1300-1400ppm. temp 76-82F ph 7.8-8.4.
also good lights.

3. corals will not survive hypo.

Olof
03/30/2013, 09:05 AM
hrmm.... okay....

So I wont' dip the corals. So I treat them and keep them in QT? QT for how long? I'm assuming just a few days. Are lights really needed during the QT, and if so do they have to be high quality lights?

Back to the fish. I'm guessing I'll need to strip down the QT and set it back up for fish QT. Do they get dropped right into the hyposalinity? I'm assuming the answer is yes as acclimating would defeat the purpose.

Thanks

bnumair
03/30/2013, 09:42 AM
on the corals i usually dip them in revive for 10 min then into my main tank, i never qt corals but if u do then tank has to have reef specs on parameters. u will need a separate tank for hypo for fish.
if u do qt the corals in a separate tank then a few days (upto 4) without any light will be fine. after that u need good lights meaning atleast T5's if u r gonna keep them longer.

fish and hypo, i usually bring the fish in and make my qt and transport water the same. then over next few days i drop it to hypo 1.009 by taking few cups out salt water out and replacing with ro/di water.

Bpb
03/30/2013, 10:02 AM
Depends on the corals. For softies and lps corals I use a lugols iodine dip. Zoas can tolerate a peroxide dip as well, and for sps I like to use Bayer advanced complete. What specifically are you going to be getting?

Olof
03/30/2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks for info on going Hypo with the fish. I'm sure this is okay considering I'm also running a Prazipro treatment for two of the six weeks.

On to the corals. I think I'll dip in Revive for 10mins vs. QT them.

Corals I have on my wishlist;

Purple Tricolor Acropora
Pearlberry Acropora
Neon Green Birdsnest
Mars the Red Planet Acropora
Yellow Fuzzy Acropora
Purple Montipora Capricornis
Brett's Purple Rim Montipora Capricornis

I assume it's okay to purchase, dip and place 2-3 corals at a time. Any other items I should consider before purchase?

Thanks

Bpb
03/30/2013, 11:07 AM
That's quite a list. Nice corals. Look up the Bayer advanced coral dip method. Worked fantastic for me.

Sk8r
03/30/2013, 11:11 AM
Start with the monti. They're easiest.