PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria

Reefer1959
03/30/2013, 04:04 PM
Hi. I have something deep red growing on a few of my rocks. It looks really nice, but I am concerned about whether or not it could be cyanobacteria. It is not on the sand at all, and not on all the rocks, but where it is on the rocks, it is spreading. If it ends up being coraline algea, I will be happy, because like I said, it is a real nice deep red. Also, I do have hair algea growing in a few spots in my tank, both on the rock, and on the sand. I use pure water from a new RoDi system, have been doing water changes every week, and my phosphates are .0 to .04. It is a VioCube 29 gallon tank. I have about 8 hermits and 2 snails as a cleaner crew, plus a scarlett skunk shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp. All my coral, and fish are doing great. Any ideas?

bnumair
03/30/2013, 04:17 PM
pic will be great to id. how old is the tank?

Reefer1959
03/30/2013, 04:27 PM
It has been up and running about 3 months. Upon further review, it does look like it has spread to the sand now, in the back of the rock that is covered in it. It almost looks like reddish purple velvet. I will get some pics

Reefer1959
03/30/2013, 04:41 PM
Here are a few pics

magillrn.lora
03/30/2013, 04:47 PM
how long is your light cycle? cyano loves light. might need to shorten the cycle for a bit

govertical19
03/30/2013, 04:54 PM
I have had success using Phols coral snow. But a new tank can sometimes go thru a cyano stage. stick it out and keep up with a regular maintenance routine and you will make it thru it.

You test probably not reading the phosphates because the algae is using it. Make sure to not overfeed, and if you are dosing anything you may want to cut back some.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sk8r
03/30/2013, 05:21 PM
I just added a sticky on this problem. Look up at the top of the forum.