PDA

View Full Version : Amount of Coral in a Tank

bucketheadlp
03/30/2013, 07:45 PM
I am currently in the planning stage of a 90gallon which I will hopefully be setting up in a few months when I get moved into a new house. I see alot of posts and articles on how many fish to have based on tank size. Is there any guidelines on how many different corals to have?

powdertang05
03/30/2013, 07:53 PM
Whats kinds of corals are you thinking? I think if its sps, you could really crowd the tank up with frags and let it run for months with no issues. Ive only ran sps never any softies or LPS. Just make sure sps dont touch and have enough room to grow.

bucketheadlp
03/30/2013, 07:57 PM
I was sort of hoping to do a variety, this would be my first reef tank. I was thinking about maybe trying to keep some sps, lps, maybe some mushrooms and Zoa's too.

amutti
03/30/2013, 08:46 PM
You jam a lot of stuff together... The strongest will win. Not particularly responsible...

Are you looking for suggestions? Zoos an mushrooms are pretty easy. I've always found Duncan's very easy. Euphyllias are pretty easy (hammer, torch and frogspawn). Blastos and ancans are pretty easy too. Not too much SPS experience, but I've never had any trouble growing birdsnest, monti plates, or scroll corals.

I'd stay away from galaxia, Xenia, and kenia tree - they really are a nuisance.

bucketheadlp
03/30/2013, 08:50 PM
You jam a lot of stuff together... The strongest will win. Not particularly responsible...

Are you looking for suggestions? Zoos an mushrooms are pretty easy. I've always found Duncan's very easy. Euphyllias are pretty easy (hammer, torch and frogspawn). Blastos and ancans are pretty easy too. Not too much SPS experience, but I've never had any trouble growing birdsnest, monti plates, or scroll corals.

I'd stay away from galaxia, Xenia, and kenia tree - they really are a nuisance.

I will keep that in mind when I make up a stock list for my corals.

squishifishi
03/30/2013, 09:06 PM
yeah, you must consider qrowth rate. those ones that are really slow, you could have more, but you wouldn't want to crowd it with xenia for example because it would grow and row until you have no tank left!
mostly though, it's a matter of personal preferance! so stock it how you like, it's your tank!!!

OrQidz
03/30/2013, 09:49 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with my xenia. I love its hypnotic hand waving awesomeness. But, I hate when it goes on a growth spree. But it has been better behaved actually since a lot of my other corals have grown in. Maybe competition for nutrients or coral warfare of some kind? What I hate is that it grows up and up onto the highest rocks then leans over in the current and shades the other corals. That is when my xenia colony becomes frags!

mkbtank
03/30/2013, 10:02 PM
When planning corals, a huge rule of thumb for me is to not put anythign (as mentioned) that can "Take over" by growing too fast and killing other corals. I place mushrooms firmly on thsi list also. I once had an entire 120 filled with mushrooms.

bucketheadlp
03/31/2013, 07:00 AM
When planning corals, a huge rule of thumb for me is to not put anythign (as mentioned) that can "Take over" by growing too fast and killing other corals. I place mushrooms firmly on thsi list also. I once had an entire 120 filled with mushrooms.

Good to know.

cap032
03/31/2013, 08:59 AM

Add zoas to that as well. They completely took over my 75.

Fish_Kid99
03/31/2013, 10:12 AM
I don't seem to have a problem with xenias. I have about 8 separate stemmed xenias that haven't expanded for about a year. My luck as I move them to my 55 they will take over the tank lol.

Sk8r
03/31/2013, 10:34 AM
No limit. They sort it out...BUT...
you need bright lighting, a calcium supplement and reef salt to handle stony coral.
You should have moderate lighting to handle softies.
And as a beginner, unless you have a high end system and a really good skimmer, and nerves of steel, don't tackle SPS. Stick to LPS.
If you don't know your choices, go to the LPS, SPS, zoa, Corallimorphians, and such forums and look at the pix.

bucketheadlp
03/31/2013, 10:38 AM
No limit. They sort it out...BUT...
you need bright lighting, a calcium supplement and reef salt to handle stony coral.
You should have moderate lighting to handle softies.
And as a beginner, unless you have a high end system and a really good skimmer, and nerves of steel, don't tackle SPS. Stick to LPS.
If you don't know your choices, go to the LPS, SPS, zoa, Corallimorphians, and such forums and look at the pix.

I will start with the easier corals and as my skill and knowledge grow tackle more difficult corals.